The VG Resource

Full Version: Abstract, cement mixer Kirby
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This kirby is not a genuine effort. Its trying new things. I would like someone rather to comment on it, to tell me a new way to shade because the way I'm doing (lightsource top-west corner, and just adding layers) is killing me. I tried to do dithering on the headband and soccer cleats and the pallette is form color lovers. Someone, tell me how to shade differenly!!! Also, the shading is reversed, the darkest shade is on top, just to see how it looks. Also, how do you sell-out a sprite???

[Image: show-1.png]
It's good that you're experimenting, but I wouldn't call it abstract art. Abstract are is simple but complex in it's own way. It's hard to explain, I'm not the best one to explain it. Tongue Your dithering on your headband is wrong but you're on the right direction. You need to make the dark side of the headband darker.
For you shading, I would suggest giving it more contrast and making it look less gradient. You can barely see the shading on it. Try to smoothen out your lines too, they're blocky.

Sell out a sprite? Well first off, you gotta make something that "WOWS" people. Then after a while, make animations for that sprite to make a sheet. I guess that's what you meant by sell out lol
Overall, this piece is kinda boring but like I said, it's good that you're experimenting. You gotta start somewhere. I know how you said you didn't put much effort in it, but please next time, put more effort in it. I hate it when people don't push themselves and don't put much effort into things.
(04-26-2009, 05:55 PM)Torres. Wrote: [ -> ][Image: show-1.png]
Shading is off if your trying to make a sphere, to me it looks like a tablet more than an oval.
If shading is percise, or atleast close than it makes your sprite pop out, yours doesn't I suggest parctice more on shading before attempting to sell your sprites, no offense either I'm not trying to put you down, but only giving helpful feed back.
Not sell like, money related. But thanks. I need help with how you should shade a sprite. Instead of always having a lightsource at the top corner. Are there other ways.
why don't you make the lightsource come in the middle??
Thank you, are there any other ways???
I wouldn't call this an abstract piece imo.
[Image: selouttut.png]
This is AA'd selective outlining.
Also what do you mean by shading differently?
How do you do that??? Anybody, I think that would help me a lot.
Selective outlining. From that example I gave you I think you can apply sel-out on your Kirby's outline. Would you mind explaining what you mean by shading differebtly? Do you mean shading patterns? Lightsources?
(04-26-2009, 07:00 PM)Chris2Balls Wrote: [ -> ]Selective outlining. From that example I gave you I think you can apply sel-out on your Kirby's outline. Would you mean explaining what you mean by shading differebtly? Do you mean shading patterns? Lightsources?
Lightsource, and shading is the same thing, you can't shade unless you know where the light is coming from, thats why some people can't get there shading right, heres an example on shade working with lightsource, if you take the time to study this you will be a good shader.
[Image: 85f1dc6286.gif]
When lets say you want to put a round sticker on the sphere remember to bend the round sticker with the sphere curve, this is actually quite difficult for most people but if you accomplish that than your pretty much set to go.
Thanks a lot people, up in rep, both of you
[Image: shadingwi7.png]
watch how an sphere is afected by light in the real world. that should give you a more clear idea of how it works.
You can create an infinite variety of shading patterns: for instance, I'm using triangles in my avatar to shade, but I could use circles, squares, and many other shapes. Browse through here to find a few examples.