The VG Resource

Full Version: Super Amazing Ultra Fighter 2 Omega Advanced! Deluxe Edition!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Well I hadn't a clue what to call this thread, since I am unaware of the name of this project.

As a brief overview, a few friends of mine are creating a fighting game. I do believe it will be using MUGEN, but beyond that I don't know, I'm not a coder or anything close to one. I however am the lead spriter. It seems like a lot of pressure, but I think I can maybe do it... kinda.

Originally starting the chosen style we had was Tales of Nakiriki dungeon 3. The problem with this though was we found it was too small for what we wanted, so I was in charge of finding something bigger. Well after many frustrating hours of finding nothing I could adapt to (I'm not very good at style imitation =P) I decided just to whip together a new style.

The game itself will be using what I heard is called the Eastern Fighting game style. It involves 4 main buttons: A B C and D. A through C are attack buttons, A is weak, B is moderate, and C is strong. D will be for special abilities. Than command moves like quarter circles and stuff will be there too. Again though, I'm not in charge of this stuff, so my understanding is pretty novice at best.

We have over 20 characters planned, but for the first release, we only plan on 6. I just recently have finished the concept sprites for each character. For the most part, these will be one of the standing poses for each. I'm not doing each of these characters, some of them will be done by the other spriters we have (the other two).

Well I will stop boring you all with details and show you the sprites I have now. I really would appreciate things like critique, comments, and all that. I really want to get these things right.

[Image: TestExample-3.png]

The big guy on the left is Raizou. He is my RP character. He's basically a big beefy asgardian who serves Thor. Packed with electricity, strength, and huge axe, Raizou will be sure to be one powerful character.

The lady next to him is Alexa. The guy running this project uses her in RP's. Think paladin kind of with her. She lives in a cold area, hence the large amount of clothing. She wields a claymore in battle and if I remember correctly will have ice based attacks. I won't be spriting her, the leader will be.

The guy with the guitar is Bill. It's hard to describe Bill. A good way to describe the type of person Bill is, is by describing his win pose. "He does a spin while tearing off his shirt. He then proceeds to rub his nipples." Yep, Bill is pretty cool. He uses a guitar to fight with, so you know he's cool. I might be doing his sprite sheet if I get done with the other characters fast enough.

The guy in the red robe next to Bill is Shun-Yu. Shun-Yu is a Jiang Shi, or Chinese Hopping Vampire to some. He will actually have two fighting styles. One where he has his arms at normal length, and one where he extends his arms to be longer (using rigamortis). I'm sadly in charge of this one's sprites (two sets of sprites for one character X/).

The guy in red with the spear is Moonblade. Not much for me to explain about him, most of the stuff I know about him is random backstory and stuff. He's suppose to have a lot of moves and can jump and stuff well too. Another set of sprites I wont' be doing, the leader instead will be.

Last but not least is Ryu. A ninja-fox-ronin-kid, or something along those lines. Like all the others, he is an RP character. Ryu will be fast and annoying with range. His sprites will be done by his owner, who is our side spriter.

Well that's all I think I need to explain. Once I get these concept sprites clarified, refined, and all that, I'll be starting with sprite sheets and spriting up movements and attacks and all that good stuff. This will be my first time doing fighting game sprites, and the first time I'll be making up actual sprite sheets. Again, comments and critique highly welcomed.
The sprites need a lot of work. General shading issues and poor palettes really weigh them down. Proportions seem odd too.
Thanks Osiris =D. I'll be sure to work on those things. I don't quite get what you mean by "poor palettes" though. Is it that I picked the wrong colors, or there isn't enough? Well posting this stuff here has already been more then worthwhile, I figured a spriting site would have some helpful comments and critique.
They're very drab and some of them lack contrast.
Thanks again Osiris, you've already helped me tons. Well I've made an update on Raizou. I think he looks better myself. I mainly worked on the skin and hair though. The other characters I fear may be harder to fix. Raizou had a generous amount of work room since he has 5 skin tones. Other characters though aren't as bland as Raizou color choice wise. I'm going to be stuck working with only about 3 shades per color. We want to keep a palette count 20 and under. I will though not let that keep me down, and I'll just keep on trying hard. C+C still highly welcomed/wanted, either on the other ones, or this newest one.

[Image: RaizouTest.png]
I never asked this, but what up with the pixel-transparency on the pants ?
(04-22-2009, 07:33 AM)Osiris Wrote: [ -> ]I never asked this, but what up with the pixel-transparency on the pants ?

I'm afraid I don't know what you mean by that. I don't notice any transparency involving the pants.
The crosshatching pattern on the pants is a way of using pixel-based alpha transparency. Why's it there ?
Ok, I think I get what you're asking now. The pattern on the pants is because they are chainmail leggings. I'm assuming that's what you're talking about. I don't think I've ever seen such fancy words used for sprites though, I guess I really am still very new to spriting.
Usually that type of patterning ends up looking like fishnets.

fishnets over jeans oh baby

Also a good number of those characters look pretty good in terms of design; however their proportions and palettes really kill their coolness as Tyvon said, as well as uncomfortable-looking poses.
The Anubis-guy in Tyvon's sig is a good presentation of a fighting-game character - big hands and feet. Men usually look cool and muscular like that whereas ladies are slender and curvy (I'd say "the left side of Tyvon's sig" but uh...those are wonky dimensions to base anything off of)

They look more like trainer images from Pokemon than they do fighting game characters, quite honestly :I

psst: also good job on fixing up raizou's colors, they look much better
Progress has been made, thanks to you guys. Your critique and suggestions helped a lot.

Thanks Kesheh on the suggestion with the design, but sadly I don't have much decision on that. Everyone but Raiou aren't my charcters. I can't make Alexa slender and curvy because as a character, she is bundled up in a lot of stuff. Bill and Moonblade I was told shouldn't be muscular looking either. I'll try and talk with their owners and see if they are ok with more of an exaggerated look to their characters.

Before this, I dealt with a lot of Pokemon style sprites, splicing and fakemon to be specific, so it doesn't surprise me that this reminds you of Pokemon style.

[Image: TestExample-4.png]
Better.
Hey Jappio, hope you don't mind, but you think I could do some sprite edits of what you have to better show what needs to be fixed?
That would be perfectly fine with me. In fact, I would be greatly honored if you did. I must say though you needn't bother with it, no reason you need to put such or effort into my sprites, but if you want to, I'll gladly let you and see.

Edit:

While I'm here I might as well post something. I made an animation. It's just the normal standing pose. I have found that my lack of experience in animation has hampered the quality. I'm not asking for critique on this, just because it's not at my best, I know I can and how I can do better. You're free to comment and critique, I'm just letting you all know it isn't required.

[Image: Raizoubob.gif]
Sorry for the long wait with no update. I've been working as much as I can though. I now have an attack started. I'm not going to call it done, or close to it. I know currently it needs plenty of work. I though felt the need to get something made. I plan on improving the sprites and perhaps adding a few frames. I wouldn't mind though some critique or anything. The move I'm showing is one of Raizou few "command" moves. In fighting game terms, I suppose it's called a "623" or as I refer to it as: "shoryuken". It's a simple jab with some advancement. I don't know if I'll be posting animations for more moves, it takes awhile to do sadly. The speeds in the animation are messed, so try and ignore that if possible =P. That lightning doesn't move fast enough when it strikes down.

[Image: raizoupunch.gif]
[Image: Raizou-1.png]
Pages: 1 2 3