The VG Resource

Full Version: Graphics and... stuff
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
when I mean graphics, I mean visual graphics, like it actually looks so realistic, yes, I admit it, if a game has great graphics, then I'll be impressed, but if it has great graphics, horrid controls, horrid gameplay, and a horrid story line, which can happen in most cases, I won't be as impressed, but hey, good graphics right?

seriously, how can people be so stupid and only care about the graphics in the game? this is out of hand, sooner or later, companies are going to take longer developing games with "realistic graphics" just to apease every with this insatiable (am I using this word correctly?) thirst for good graphics.

this is just rediculous, other god games in the past didn't have that great graphics, maby the lip syncing was a little off, but they still hit it big, what's the deal with good graphics in gaming nowadays?
As with most of my creative preferences, I like my graphics bold and edgy. They don't have to be top of the range, or uber realistic.

[Image: 06uf5.jpg]
^ Pic related.
no more heroes cuts it for me.

MGS4 is fucken stunning though, but i REALLY love cartoony cel-shaded graphics.
Better graphics show that the dev team put more effort into the game, so it's a natural reaction that the game should be good, too. However, this assumption is not always correct. It's the same as pesticides. You have one disgusting-looking apple that's the good apple, and a beautiful apple that was sprayed with pesticides. The beautiful apple looks better, so people assume it's better, even though it's sprayed with pesticides.
no they don't.
game makers show better effort in a game when it's actually playable.
yeah pretty much!

The big deal about graphics in games is that they influence the immersiveness. A good example of a game that blends great graphics and gameplay is Ninja Gaiden Sigma. 3D graphics are so widely used because they can do so much more then pixelart, but some games still use pre-rendered paintings as backgrounds because there's some things those can do that 3D cant.
Are you kidding me, Pigyman?
Have you played Viewtiful Joe?
Not the best graphics concerned to by most people (but IMO amazing for the style they were going for).
EPIC Game.

EPIC
Rakia Wrote:Are you kidding me, Pigyman?
Have you played Viewtiful Joe?
Not the best graphics concerned to by most people (but IMO amazing for the style they were going for).
EPIC Game.
If you read the entire post you would have read:
Pigyman Wrote:However, this assumption is not always correct.
Which means that it's only a mental mindset that "graphics = good game" (Halo) when that's usally not the case (Chibi-Robo).
I for one prefer sprites over 3D models. I dunno why exactly, I just find sprites far more appealing, provided they're well made.
Can you perhaps find people who will admit they "only care about the graphics"?

Probably not. I think someone on another forum put it well: even if people do care more about the graphics, they probably aren't going to admit it because they don't want to seem shallow.

It's nice when a game has good graphics and gameplay. It's nice when a game plays very well even if the graphics are about on-par with the rest of the games on the system. It's still not that pleasant to find stuff that looks like, for example, Shadow the Hedgehog. The quality (or lack thereof) in many areas of Mario Kart Wii's graphics still bugs me, even if it was supposedly due to try to maintain a steady frame rate (If all it would take is toning down the item chaos and having less than 12 racers, would it really be that great of a loss?

It seems like "gameplay>graphics" comes up a lot when people have just grasped for an excuse to dislike a game or system that others have praised. See: fanboys putting down the 360, the PS3, and games like Donkey Kong Country. Good visuals aren't always indicative of a lack of quality in other areas, just as mediocre visuals aren't always indicative of a mediocre game.
Just because people value graphics over gameplay doesn't mean they don't care about gameplay.
I'm using this to explain what I mean, before the next gen systems came out, but they were still anounced to be released, I had said I wanted a Wii first thing, and my father had come up to me and said that why not get a PS3? The PS3 has way better graphics than the Wii

again, I'm using this as an example for my defense
With photorealism edging ever closer, stylization essentially is the way forward. I think Nintendo realized this and did the whole Wiimote thing. In the next generation Nintendo will be able to give us a console more powerful than the PS3 for the classic $200-250 stand point, so taking a stand on innovation and game play was the logical direction.

But anyway, once we've explored everything; art direction and design will be key, not the tech processing it.
Graphics should only be a fraction of what the gamer's overall opinion on a game is. Reviewers look at ALL of the aspects of a game, not just graphics. Gameplay, sound, and story are important, but what really matters is if the game is fun or not.
Technically this debate about graphics is just really a continuation from Nintendo and Sega's console war. Provided Sega did get serious props for incredible graphics for the time. However as we see now, that "war" is still continuing to this day with the advent of the PS3 and the 360. I really don't think Nintendo is a poor judge of deciding graphics, but they aren't trying to make ultra realistic Mario. or facial hair on Link. Sony and Microsoft (mostly sony falls under this category) they don't really make their own games, and if they do it is usually only at least 5, so they resort to making a powerful system and depend on 3rd party producers to dump their HD games onto their systems. Nintendo however has their own games that they produce their-selves. I admire that very much of them, and I have supported their creativity for years now.

Graphics should only really be a perk of game-play, and rather the actual feel, plot and artistic styling should be the key components. Why do you think you guys download games from the Virtual Console or even on other consoles? Well it is the game-play and feel the game gives you.

I do admit I wish the Wii had the capability to have powerful graphics and the controls that Nintendo has introduced. But the truth is the Wii can't handle it. But I find it to be a fair compromise to sacrifice graphics for game-play.