The VG Resource

Full Version: Experimental face pixel art
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
[Image: Trevor_mug1z1.png]
So im playan around with this lineart and shit and I got bored and started to shade it and here we go. Was originally going to be Trevor Belmont but well iit isn't anymore. I'm experimenting with shading and color and style and all that stuff. This is a WIP, btw

C+C?
I always loved the way you shaded faces. You have the shadowing on the nose and cheek in the perfect spot. I dislike the eye, though, because the pupil seems too small and its sort of shaped oddly. but shading and stuff is top-notch.
Looks really good Smile
Seemes like you put a lot of effort into it.
It looks like a sketch right out of a drawing pad.

His right eye does seem to be looking in the wrong direction when compared with the left eye though.
[Image: Trevor_mug3z.png]
Updated: Added the basis for hair, tightened the shading a little and also fixed the issue with the eye, as pointed out by Yoder.
this is hella tight.

props to you.
I like it, but the shading's really dirty
Yet cleaner than much of his other work Smile

But I agree, you've really got to get out of these dirty shading habits.
Quote:I like it, but the shading's really dirty

Quote:But I agree, you've really got to get out of these dirty shading habits.

Excuse me, but to be perfectly honest I don't have a clue what you're talking about.

I don't really see how its... 'dirty' exactly, and at PT one of the few examples of the opposite of dirty shading was tbsp/nitty style shading, and that looked more 'dirty' to me then mine does.

Please help I'm confused~

Regardless;

Thanks tyvon, Pik and Zeph for the comments~
The eye looks much better now.

I think they're referring to the dithering you used, though I don't know why. It gives this image a stylized feel (the nose's highlight may be a bit too bright).
The eyes are the worst example of the dirtiness. Quick seemingly random color transitions, dither patterns in very small areas, etc.
It stands out even more when you put it next to the large flat areas like his cheek and forehead.

The hair shading is very boring and cylindrical. very solid, very un-hairlike.

The bland grayscale palette's not helping either, but I assume that's only temporary.
Thanks Yoder (AND ZEPH)~
[Image: Trevor_mug3z2.png]
I've altered the eyes again to clean up the shading. Also as far as the hair is concerned, the way this one is turning out, its coming out rather 'statue-esque' (which is sort of intentional at this point) so I'll probably end up keeping it the way it is. Obviously the hair is still WIP though, so~
I love how this is turning out.

No crits from me~
Thanks Mario (!mama mia!)

[Image: Trevor_mug3z7.png]
Updated it. P. mild update though. Redid the mouth, added a background color and also finetuned a bunch of other areas.
The new mouth has me questioning the gender of the subject. Is it supposed to be male or female?
Pages: 1 2