The VG Resource

Full Version: Mario Party 4 Hosts WIP (New: Toad 1.1)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
The Boring Intro: The other day I was looking around GameStop for a new Super Mario Sunshine. Well, as luck would have it, they were out. However, as I walked away from the GameCube section, I caught sight of Mario Party 4, which I hadn't played for years. I bought it and before long decided to do a sprite search for the hosts. No results. So I found a pallette (Thanks), and started spriting all five of them.

Basically, I'm spriting the five hosts from Mario Party 4.

The sprites with stars are the ones I'm most worried about.

Reference. Thanks to The Mushroom Kingdom.

[Image: mp4a.png]

Lots of C+C Please. Be harsh if need be.

Also, please tell me which host needs fixing unless you're referring to all of them. If you don't know their names (shame on you), it's in this order (left to right): Goomba, Shy Guy, Toad, Boo, Koopa.
The contrast and proportions aren't right. Get rid of the black borders. The accessories and details aren't correct. The shading is barely visible because of the contrast, and is applied without taking in count volume.
Shroob2 Wrote:(does anyone know how to make it a not-link?)
Like this:
Code:
[img]http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/3371/mp4.png[/img]
(03-28-2009, 07:25 PM)Chris2Balls Wrote: [ -> ]The contrast and proportions aren't right. Get rid of the black borders. The accessories and details aren't correct. The shading is barely visible because of the contrast, and is applied without taking in count volume.

I'll work on those.

EDIT:
"The accessories and details aren't correct." and "without taking in count volume". Can you explain those a little more?

Also, when you're referring to proportions, do you mean from character to character, or one character?

Sorry I'm asking so many questions.
Accessories: The hats aren't always the right shape, for example for Goomba (it's too straight, it's narrower at the bas than at the top) Shyguy (that looks like a Gun Frontier hat, whereas on the ref the SG had two humps on his hat) and Boo( it should be wider at the base, and the shape should make an arc and not a line).
Details: Toad's red patches are all the same size normally. The Goomba should have more forehead revealed, the Shyguy's mouth should be smaller, the Boo's eyes are far too big and his jacket clings too much to him.
The outlines look very jagged because of the black, and I suggest you add AA (anti-aliasing, smoothening out outlines; check the outline of my avatar, it's visible).
The goomba head is too small commpared to the body, which is supposed to be short and stubby.

I dont really like the Toad's body.

The boo's body isnt "circle" enough.

I like the koopa though!!!
@Chris2Balls: I get it now. I'll start working on those things.
@Azure Fox: Thanks for the C+C.
They are good but as many other have said the contrast and proportion are bad I suggest adding some AA to the sprites it makes them look better but most of all realistic.
Would changing the pallette help with the contrast, or changing the amount of shading?
I like the pallette
Yeah, I know, it's pretty cool. The only problems I noticed is that the pale sorta doesn't mix well with the White, as evidenced by Toad.

AND, as of this post, I'll be working on them one at a time, so it might take me a little while longer than I thought for updates.
If you fix what we told you to do, you will have really good sprites Smile
[Image: goomba2.png]

Goomba v1.1

-Fixed his hat and added a little more shading; Lifted it up a pixel
-Added some AA to the outline
-Made his body a little smaller, and shaded his eyes.
-Brought his shoes closer together

I wasn't to sure about his shading so I left it the same. Any ideas on how to fix it would be appreciated.

EDIT: Added the old Goomba for better comparison.
I cant see the picture in your post for some reason.
There was a problem with the link. I'm just getting used to that.
Pages: 1 2