The VG Resource

Full Version: So I painted my shoes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
... and ended up with this. I'm now trying to get rid of all the little niggles such as white going over gold bands (by accident), adding a layer or so of black and gold in others. I am also conscious that some colours are wrong (I wasn't sure about the gold, because on the real thing it's a mix of gold and silver), but that's due to my marker pens and the lack of choice Sad.
Anyway. These cheap black shoes are repainted to look like the Donkey Kong II multi-screen Game & Watch. The exterior sides represent the lower part of the console, whereas the interior sides represent the top. The flap and end of shoe are supposed to look like the G&W's exterior top (I've yet to do the DKs on them).
I did this with acrylic marker pens, black, gold, brown and white, and everything is done by hand. This is the second time I painted on shoes, but I'm considering spray-painting the next pair I'll be doing (once my budget can afford that).
Please feel free to give me some advice on how I can make these better, or on what I can do next, it'll be very much appreciated :B
[Image: shoerightright.png]
[Image: shoerightleft.png]
[Image: shoeleftright.png]
[Image: shoeleftleft.png]
*Sorry if the pics were blurred*
Those are pretty cool actually.

I don't know how easy it is to layer acrylic pens (never used them!) but I'd suggest, if you can, going over the red/orange parts again, they're looking kinda streaky to me.

Generally it's better to start with a white shoe. I find that acrylic paint or fabric paint on canvas shoes tends to have the best results :>
Okay!
I'll try and fix the strokes, but I think it's due to the amount of layers I made, so that could be quite tough to solve... I could rub it slightly (with a rubber). I'll check anyway.
I could try on canvas shoes next time, but I don't like that style of shoe, even though it's a good choice fabric-wise. The acrylic marker pens worked quite well on the first pair I made, because the textile was slightly rubbery and smooth. However on this pair it's a bit harder because it's quite a bit smoother, and it's real pain to paint on.
Yeah, I should've painted on white shoes in retrospect Sad.
Anyway thanks!
You need to go to sole forums for some tips. there is actually speciality paint you can buy for this called Angelus Shoe Paint. look it up. Pretty nice so far but needs refinement.
Haha, those are hot.
=O
Great!
How many time you took for make it .-. ?
(03-24-2009, 04:35 PM)Kaikimi Wrote: [ -> ]You need to go to sole forums for some tips. there is actually speciality paint you can buy for this called Angelus Shoe Paint. look it up. Pretty nice so far but needs refinement.
Okay. I'll need to do some research... I think I might need to import that stuff unless there's an equivalent nearby. But first, research.
Thanks for the positive feedback!
I think I must have spent at least 7 hours on this, because I spent several late nights working on it.

One thing that really worries me is the stuff you spray on to make the shoes waterproof... I'm scared that crap'll erase my work or smear it, so I'll be checking to see what it does on similar fabric before applying it.
Thanks for the positive crits, I'll post some updates!
What about my next pair of shoes? I was thinking of doing them like the GB Tetris cart, or the NES controller but that's too cliché. I was also thinking of doing DK G&W (yes, I've grown fond of these machines Heart), which is mostly orange.