The VG Resource

Full Version: Whats with the steal/credit notices?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
New, browsing around the site and I noticed a ton of sheets that have a small notice...

"Ripped by *****, don't steal or claim as your own"

I thought it was a bit redundant. I plan to use the ones I found and with notices like that I am not crediting the author, rather Nintendo.

Whenever I rip sprites or make a tileset, I don't put any notice what so ever on them ( but I also don't distribute unless someone asks for them ). What's your opinion on the credit claims?
Didn't we already discuss this in many other threads ?
People ask for credit because they take time out of their day to rip the sprites from said games. They make your job easier, so they deserve credit for it. Sure, the sprites aren't THEIRS, but they're the ones who got them for you, and that's time they'll never get back. The least you could do is say thanks, naddameen ?
It depends on how old they are. A few years ago, when there were 5 million spriting sources and the average internet use age was a little younger - sprite stealing was rampant. People resented getting their shit posted elsewhere without permission.

These days it's a little more relaxed. People aren't so worried about not getting credit for rips because they didn't really make them. Of course posting sheets elsewhere without permission is assholish for obvious reasons. Doing anything with custom sprites without credit is also a taboo; again for obvious reasons.
Actually, here's an entire topic about it;
http://www.spriters-resource.com/communi...p?tid=4742
I always have my name on my sprite sheets so that people know who ripped it. I don't need credit for my sheets (not even for that Tarma sheet that took me a few weeks to rip), just as long as they give credit to the original companies that made the sprites, I'm fine with that.

...and don't be a jerk about it, either.
Are these notices just for people reposting them elsewhere or actually using them in a game? I might be missing the point. I am fine with crediting someone for taking the time to rip them, but not when I see notices not to steal them or otherwise.
Yeah, the stealing is in regards to reposting elsewhere.
Stealing is essentially not giving credit / posting someone else's sheet on some website (people will usually assume it was you who made / ripped it).
Not giving credit isn't stealing, but putting it on another website without express permission from the ripper, or changing their credit tag to a completely different one is. Some thieves will try to get around being accused by rearranging the stolen sheets, but if there are any errors with the original (messed up color palettes, effects missing or ruined, this happened a lot with early JUS rips) then the thief will most likely keep those problems there, and that's how they get caught.