The VG Resource

Full Version: A little advice?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I just recently started spriting again,turns out I couldn't do anything I used to be able to do so I just stared over.

I started off with this little revamp of doduo from green version.

[Image: revamppng.png]

Edit 1: Did another for Houndoom.

[Image: revamp2.png]

Tell me what you think, and don't hold back, I want all your criticism.
don't use the circle tools in paint =3
I dont use the cirlce, rectangle, etc. tools. They are useless to me.

Edit: Also, I added another to my first post.
I can C+C you but I don't know what you actually did so I can say anything.
Well, i just took the old G/S sprites from Pokemon, and revamped them with the R/S/E colors.
So I can get a feel for shading, I just recently started spriting.
ITT no one knows what a revamp is

I don't like to criticize revamps since I seem then as little more than fancy versions of recolors... So i'll juss' explain what he did.

Basically he took official existing sprites in an older style (translated: he did not sprite the linearts), and reshades/colors/stylizes them to match a current/modern/higher bittage style. There's nothing truly wrong with that, but it's still somewhat of a low level form of spriting.

To criticize this, one would have to comment on the only real work he did, reshading, since neither the lineart nor the palette is his. Also accuracy to the style.
The outlines of Houndoom's horns shouldn't be all black. In the Emerald sprite, there's some gray. Same goes for all the bone decorations.
Yeah it's true you should start by editing or putting together and then go to making customs and so on.
(03-17-2009, 04:44 PM)Mabelma Wrote: [ -> ]putting together

Splicing breeds bad habits.
(03-17-2009, 04:43 PM)Neslug Wrote: [ -> ]The outlines of Houndoom's horns shouldn't be all black. In the Emerald sprite, there's some gray. Same goes for all the bone decorations.

Fixed, thanks for pointing it out.
No like that I mean like there's some sprite sheets that are seperate in parts like the hands, legs,ect so you put them together. That's what I started doing before I started spriting customs. Take sukapon for example you can put them together.
If you want to make the design closer to the current one too, you might want to add claws and make the neck longer. If not, then not.

Just noticed, you didn't use any of the light gray that the Emerald sprite has on the front legs.
(03-17-2009, 05:00 PM)Neslug Wrote: [ -> ]If you want to make the design closer to the current one too, you might want to add claws and make the neck longer. If not, then not.

Just noticed, you didn't use any of the light gray that the Emerald sprite has on the front legs.

Thanks for the suggestion, I might actually try that tonight when I have the chance.
Edit: Oh wow, thanks, I didnt even notice.

Edit2: Fixed it, added some highlight to his right leg, and some on his face.