The VG Resource

Full Version: Custom Samus (Critique Please)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I hope I'm doing this right, it's been a while since I posted last.

I was hoping to get some advice on this custom Samus I'm working on (attached). Please, disregard the beam shots, I'm going to redo those anyway (or you can still give me advice on what they might look like Big Grin)
You need some contrast in your colors and the Varia Suit (including the Arm Cannon) is not shaped right.

Here's a page full of references that'll help you for when you resprite the Varia Suit (some of the pics are just thumbnails, click 'em for the full pictures):
http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/characters/samus.html
Agreed needs more contrast and could be a little bit brighter. Also, shoulders are too big compared to the rest of the body.
Edit: The hands could be a little smaller too.
@Ngamer01: Lol, You just linked me to one of the pictures I based the sprite off of.

Quizzle: The sprite's hands are based off of the Zero Mission hands, I made the m bigger so no one would say I stole them.

Thanks, I'll see about it, but I like the color, so that will stay, k?
It looks like you drew over the MZM samus. You could use one ore two less shades, and as said previously, it needs more contrast.
I did not draw over the MZM Samus, line them up, mine's bigger.
... I don't want to spend the thread arguing over this.
The reasons why they're not 100% the same could be that you moved the arms and maybe the legs and went over them.
If that is not true, well... you could've gone for something less MZM-y, because it is quite similar. You could make your custom SM sized, but use MZM stylings and detail.
You're rising a point that is often argued over, Corpsecrank: usage of colour in pixelart. In this case I won't go any further than that, though (apart from if you wish continuing via PM)
I like the shoulderpads, but they aren't well shaded, and I find the head too scrunched up in her body, and perhaps too wide.
The side Samus' limbs seem fat, especially the upper arm.
I like it (it's OK for a start I guess)... but there are some things that need to be fixed bad. I have been working with metroid and samus ever since I first joined and still am (I personalize in making "poses" and lots of other things like enemies and bosses too). you have to think about "samus", not the suit. place a custom samus that will "fit" in the suit or over the sprite and see how she may look, pretend to be her. does the suit fit right? is it uncomfortable? think outside the box. it's not the suit, it's the women behind the visor, try and keep that in mind Wink but that is for shape, not for color. have chris2balls help you on that part if you need it.