The VG Resource

Full Version: Custom Kirby
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[Image: Kirbyanimation.gif]

I'm kind of new at making something like this, but I need some opinions and C+C.

I'll try and tweak it up some more, I notice a few problems myself.

I should try and think of a different title for this topic as well...
Why is one of his arms bigger than the other one?
You're using dithering and it looks ok but don't use it so much.
Try shading using a light source for the complete body cause the shading on the shoes doesn't matches the shading on the body.
The animation is good but fix what I told you.
I see you an artist.
Right?
Did you draw your avatar?
(03-13-2009, 09:08 PM)Mabelma Wrote: [ -> ]You're using dithering and it looks ok but don't use it so much.

HE'S NOT DITHERING.

Listen, don't pay attention to him so much. The animation is good, sprites are good, just give it a bit more contrast. Pretty good overall.
It's cool. But ya should stick to comics.
(03-13-2009, 09:11 PM)Abraham Lincoln Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-13-2009, 09:08 PM)Mabelma Wrote: [ -> ]You're using dithering and it looks ok but don't use it so much.

HE'S NOT DITHERING.

Listen, don't pay attention to him so much. The animation is good, sprites are good, just give it a bit more contrast. Pretty good overall.

Do you mind me asking what dithering is?

Thanks, and I'll try and update the colors to make the shading more smoother sometime.
The only problem I have is the shading near the bottom. The darkest shade shouldn't be perfectly even throughout the base like that, I believe.
Dither is an intentionally applied form of noise, used to randomize quantization error, thereby preventing large-scale patterns such as contouring that are more objectionable than uncorrelated noise. Dither is routinely used in processing of both digital audio and digital video data, and is often one of the last stages of audio production to compact disc.

Sorry I thought that what you did was dithering but no it's that the shadow in the bottom is a bit odd.
Fix the shadow of the shoes and I think that's about it.
have an example on dithering.
By the way, the shading looks a li´l bit messy on the bottom of his.... chest... or whatever....
Wait Joseph wasn't that the same example you used for AA on some one?
Yeah just fix the shading on the bottom part.
(03-14-2009, 07:07 AM)JosephSeraph Wrote: [ -> ]have an example on dithering.
By the way, the shading looks a li´l bit messy on the bottom of his.... chest... or whatever....

That's not dithering, that's anti-aliasing.

This is dithering: [Image: dithering.png]

It may not be a very good example of it, but you should get the point.
Ok, I tried adding more colors to smooth out the transition from light to dark. I also fixed the bottom shading, because most of you said it looked weird.

Oh, and for future reference, I am probably not going to make any other Kirby characters like this. I may make more poses for Kirby, but that's just about it.
Sorry for double posting but here's the updated animation:

Old[Image: Kirbyanimation.gif] [Image: Kirbyanimationupdate.gif]New

The GIF format might've changed around a few colors, so here are the seperate sprites:

[Image: Kirbysprites.png]
Oh my! The new one is many times better. It's beyond the point where my crits would help...
The only problem I can see is that you didn't shade him smoothly. The shades form some pointy edges, with make him kinda weird.

The animation's fine, though. Great job.
good color choice
and the body's shading is fucked up. im going to assume you used an ms paint circle tool to make those sections. unfortunately those look awful. i suggest you re draw the abdomen with the pencil tool or at least smooth out those edges
good shading on the hands and such though