The VG Resource

Full Version: Editing sprite Sheets for RPG Maker XP
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm Not sure if this is right place to post this,sorry new and looked for right forum to post this in,and this one looked like right one,if its not sorry did not know and still new,but I'm having some trouble with the sprite sheets.

There a little big for what i want to do with them,and was wondering if its possible to use any of the sprites on this website for "RPG Maker XP".
As the ones on RPG Maker look different,i tried to edit some of the sheets on here to make them fit better but having no look doing so,it shows like the whole sheet on screen.

And it shows all of them moving at once like when i move around on the screen in RPG Maker Xp.I tried to make sheet smaller in MSpaint,but it deletes some of the sprites when trying to shrink or size down to a smaller size of sheet.I looked at alot of the sprites on here and it seemed like they were all different and would not work with the RPG Maker,but i thought maybe there was a way they could.

So i was hoping someone could Answer this question for me,and weather or not they will work for the RPG Maker XP.Also curious on how i can make sprites,my own sprites or sprites from pictures on web,but I'll post that question another time,just looking to get this problem fixed first so i can use sprites if possible.

Much Thanks for any help i can get with this.
Um well instead of editing the sheets here. Why don't you use models and chipsets designed for RPG Maker instead.
(03-10-2009, 01:53 PM)koopaul Wrote: [ -> ]Um well instead of editing the sheets here. Why don't you use models and chipsets designed for RPG Maker instead.

Are there Models and chipsets on tSR for RPG Maker XP?,i could not find any but can look again,and yes it does come with default ones but i wanted to add new ones and custom ones,such as Dragon Ball Z,Naruto,etc...
I have found some others at other websites,but no Dragon Ball Z or anything like that yet,so thats why i was wondering if sheets on here could be edited,maybe you can point me in direction of webisite for those type of models if you could,would be a big help
All charsets in RPG Maker automatically make frames by equally dividing the hight and width by a set amount.

For an example, I'll describe a sheet from RMVX.
All overworld characters and items are on a grid that's made of 8 sets of images - 2 rows of 4.
Each set is made up of 12 images - 4 rows of 3.
If you do the maths, that means that there are 8 rows of 12 images - that's 96 images total.

Because of this, when importing a sheet, RMVX will automatically divide the WIDTH of the image by 12, and the HEIGHT of the image by 8.
If you go and import an image that's not divisible by 8/12, or have a set of images that don't divide cleanly into those 96 cells, you're going to run into issues.

If editing sprites into this grid sounds like hard work - THAT'S BECAUSE IT IS. RPG Maker makes some coding easier, but making a game - especially a good game - is NEVER easy.
(03-10-2009, 02:08 PM)GrooveMan.exe Wrote: [ -> ]All charsets in RPG Maker automatically make frames by equally dividing the hight and width by a set amount.

For an example, I'll describe a sheet from RMVX.
All overworld characters and items are on a grid that's made of 8 sets of images - 2 rows of 4.
Each set is made up of 12 images - 4 rows of 3.
If you do the maths, that means that there are 8 rows of 12 images - that's 96 images total.

Because of this, when importing a sheet, RMVX will automatically divide the WIDTH of the image by 12, and the HEIGHT of the image by 8.
If you go and import an image that's not divisible by 8/12, or have a set of images that don't divide cleanly into those 96 cells, you're going to run into issues.

If editing sprites into this grid sounds like hard work - THAT'S BECAUSE IT IS. RPG Maker makes some coding easier, but making a game - especially a good game - is NEVER easy.

Ok i think i understand little better now,guess I'll have to try making my own or look for some on sites,or just do with what i got,but yea its not easy...and I'm still new to it to be honest,but i see now they have to have certain height and width for them to work,Thanks for your help.If i may ask tho what are the sprites on this website used for or what kind of games?,or what can i use them for or if anything to do with RPG Maker XP,or something else.
The sprites on tSR are for whatever use you please, and aren't in any kind of format. If you want to use them in a specific way, it's up to you to actually edit the sheets in the way required.
You shoul go to creationasylum.net
They have chisets and that kind of stuff.
I'm registered so if you need anything just pm me,