The VG Resource

Full Version: Pokemon Leaf Green/Fire Red
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I'm thinking about trying this. The object is to go through the game while not using any Pokeballs at all or without purchasing any. It would be quite a challenge, especially when you're stuck with only one Pokemon til Celadon City.

Rules-

1. You may only gain Pokemon through NPCs. No balls of any kind or money or coins shall be exchanged for Pokemon. Trades are forbidden, either in-game or person-to-person. Also, breeding is forbidden. You may, however, reset the game for a certain nature, if you want.

2. The only time the above rule may be ignored is with an HM slave. The HM slave may not participate in battle, however, and, if possible, should be left in the PC during Gym battles. (Notable exception- Ericka's Gym. You need Cut to get in.) For an extra challenge, do not have an HM slave.

3. All TMs are fair game. You can teach your Pokemon whatever you want.

4. By the end of the game your team should consist of;
A) Venusaur/Blastoise/Charizard
B) Eevee/Flareon/Vaporeon/Jolteon
C) Omastar/Kabutops
D) Hitmonlee/Hitmonchan
E) Aerodactyl
F) Lapras

That should be all the "free" Pokemon. Am I missing any? Any comments?

My thoughts; Charmander would, far and away, be the hardest Pokemon to do this with. Brock and Misty would destroy it. Venusaur would probably be the easiest. Your Eeveelution all depends on your starter choice. Lapras is a sure thing, so choosing Vaporeon or Squirtle seems like a bad idea. Hitmonchan can use the three elemental punches, so that could make things easier. Aerodactyl can learn fly, so the HM Fly can be used if you don't want to use a slave late-game. Any input is welcome.
Ohmygod. If I had Fire Red or Leaf Green, I would surely do this. What GB
was it for?
GBA. I'm running through the game now for TMs and such, but after that I think I'll give it a shot.
Tonberry2k Wrote:My thoughts; Charmander would, far and away, be the hardest Pokemon to do this with. Brock and Misty would destroy it.
Actually, I did something like this with Charmander, up until Gym 3 to prove I could, wasn't that hard, considering I had Charmeleon by the First Gym...

I'm up for the challenge, but I won't start it yet, since my DSes(both of 'em) are low on Power, plus there's the whole 'give myself enough time to enjoy a new game' thing I try to do(the WiiWare FFCC, it's so addicting!)

But anyway, it's not that it's 'hard' but it's very 'time consuming' if you're only using Charmander until you get you're first 3 Badges(just a sidenote to anyone that does this with Charmander, besides me, DO NOT evolve it into Charizard before the third Gym, since Charizard's obviously weak to Electricity)

And just to clear it up for everyone, Rule 1 includes the Game Corner and that Magikarp you pay 500 for in one of the first Pokemon Centers
I think I will attempt this as well.
Heh, I remember doing this exact thing a while back. Very odd challenge but apparently it's getting more popular. Then again, I play speedruns and this was a natural step at the time.

Up until you get your eevee you're pretty much in rough straights and caves are a charmander's worst nightmare. However my method for beating this was getting an Mild natured charmander with a 31 ATK and 31 SpA EVs. [I spent close to 3 days resetting to do this] Then I was insanely careful only to fight enough raticates and pidgeys to get to level 13 [I think it was around 15?, Oh, the trick here is to SKIP the first few areas until right before brock for fighting at all] I got it Metal Claw and then beat the heck out of Brock. Then, skipping as many trainers and pokemon fights as I could until I got to an area to fight bellsprout.

Well, with like 200 EVs in Speed and 200 in Atk [I lost like a few hundred to trainers in the start] I pretty much destroyed with Metal Claw, Slash and Wing Attack. I had Flamethrower for good measures and good god did it destroy. Once you get a good setup going, you've got a small dragon GOD under the hood my friend.

I finished the game with like WAY too much money though. Lol.
JoshR691 Wrote:[quote=Tonberry2k]
And just to clear it up for everyone, Rule 1 includes the Game Corner and that Magikarp you pay 500 for in one of the first Pokemon Centers

Exactly. I just did a new game and bought the Magikarp. Having a Gyarados against some of the early gym leaders kinda destroys the challenge of the game, haha.
Hum, if only these few pokémon are valid, wouldn't it be kinda the same if I did it on Blue or Red?
Yeah. I think you get the same ones free.
Man I really want to try this but I can't just yet. I restarted FireRed about 2 weeks ago, and I have a shiny Dragonair that I want to trade and make sure I don't lose before I restart.
Alright, so I transferred that Dragonair to my Diamond and restarted to try this. I started with Bulbasaur to take the easy way trhough the first two gyms. Ivysaur just evolved, which puts my Pokedex at 3. I'm on the SS Anne. I plan to teach Venusaur Cut in place of Tackle, making his moveset
Leech Seed
Tackle (will be replaced with Cut once I get it)
Razor Leaf
Sleep Powder

EDIT: Alright, I got Cut and beat Lt. Surge. but now I have a problem. I need Flash to get through that tunnel between Cerulean and Lavender, but I can't get Flash from Oak's aid until I have 10 entries in my Pokedex. Am I gonna end up having to go through the cave without flash, or is there another way to get Flash?
EpicWes Wrote:I need Flash to get through that tunnel between Cerulean and Lavender, but I can't get Flash from Oak's aid until I have 10 entries in my Pokedex. Am I gonna end up having to go through the cave without flash, or is there another way to get Flash?
Good thing you don't actually NEED Flash

Just go through it without Flash, it's not that hard, plus ya have a grass type to get ya through it with barely any trouble
Yeah, I made it through and now I'm at Celadon. I just got Eevee and I'm going to evolve it into Flareon to take down 4th leader.
Ok, so I'm about to start this, and I was just deciding on my Team...obviously, since I said I'll start with Charmander and take the hard way, I won't back down...

My final Team, going into the Elite 4, should be as follows:

Charizard
Jolteon
Kabutops
Hitmonchan
Aerodactyl
Lapras

And of course, I'll post my progress perhaps once a day(I'm still having some Net and computer troubles, so it might be every other day...)
Edit:
Night 1 - May 31 into June 1st: The Beginning

-Obtained Charmander
-Trained until Lv. 16, when he evolved into Charmeleon
-Defeat Pewter City's Gym(Charmeleon, Lv. 21)
-Traveled through Mt. Moon
-Dome Fossil Acquired
-Arrived in Cerulean City
-Fought Rival and won(Charmeleon, Lv. 25)
-Fought Trainers to Bill's house
-Went to Vermilion City and went on S.S. Anne, beat every Trainer on Board, including Rival(Charmeleon, Lv. 36)
-Went back to Cerulean Gym, and Defeated Misty(Charmeleon, Lv. 37)
-Headed to Vermilion City, Saved in Vermilion's Pokemon Center

Current Party:
Blaze(Charmeleon) Lv. 37

Day 1 - June 1st

-Fought against Lt. Surge, and won(Charmeleon Lv. 38)
-Evolved Charmeleon into Charizard(Charizard, Lv. 39)
-Trained a bit, went to Rock Tunnel, Saved outside

Current Party:
Blaze(Charizard) Lv. 42
actually, you would have a togepi/togetic as well
you get the egg for free if your main pokemon likes you
Pages: 1 2 3