The VG Resource

Full Version: Paper Mario *updated*
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
It has been updated

[Image: paper_mario_icon.png]

added a new side smash, more hurt poses, more cliffhanger poses, and fixed the FS a bit
Epic, as always.
Thanks Miles
This is really awesome. I so wanted Paper Mario for Brawl, XD.
I assume when you say "aireal" you mean aerial, right?
Nice one! Big Grin
Naokohiro Wrote:This is really awesome. I so wanted Paper Mario for Brawl, XD.
I assume when you say "aireal" you mean aerial, right?
Yeah it's a minor typo. Will fix.

Dazz Wrote:Nice one! Big Grin
Thanks Dazz
ya know the only thing i don't like is the up smashSad could you try using vivian coming through the shadows like an upper cut punchBig Grin so one partner from all 3 games would be there
Or the side special smash could be him kicking Kooper's / Koops's shell across the stage. Or...

Well, there's tons of possibilities!

Anyway, the Final Smash is from PM:TTYD, so there's one bit from each Paper Mario game...

Speaking of which, why didn't they add a normal Koopa Troopa in the list of Brawl playable characters? They did in Super Mario Kart... Sad
ya but i mean a partner and if u do mile's idea make it koopsCool
I just realized something. This sheet is *ALMOST, VERY NEARLY* 100% complete. I would say like 99.9%. Here's a few things that could be added/changed:
  • Perhaps a different jumping sprite set to be used for the Double Jump?
  • In an actual game setting, I'm not sure how effective the Duck animation would be. The collision box would only be reduced by 4-5 pixels height.
  • There's no "AAA" combination. Perhaps the "Attack" set could change to a Punch, Punch, Hammer combination (using the current Attack set as the final hit).
  • If the Duck animation changes, the Down Tilt set may need updating as well. It look like he's attempting to throw a low punch. Is this the case? Perhaps a low kick might work better.
  • I'm not exactly sure what the Forward Tilt move is supposed to be doing. I'm thinking maybe if the hammer spins, that would be a nice effect.
  • The Up Tilt looks like a throw. Maybe a different attack would work?
  • Is the Up Smash meant to be an attack with an upward velocity?

Just my two cents.
Bane84 Wrote:[*]Perhaps a different jumping sprite set to be used for the Double Jump? *headslap* almost forgot about that
[*]In an actual game setting, I'm not sure how effective the Duck animation would be. The collision box would only be reduced by 4-5 pixels height. What about if he scrunches down like paper?
[*]There's no "AAA" combination. Perhaps the "Attack" set could change to a Punch, Punch, Hammer combination (using the current Attack set as the final hit). Well G&W has a 1-hit attack, the bug sprayer. This is kinda like that
[*]If the Duck animation changes, the Down Tilt set may need updating as well. It look like he's attempting to throw a low punch. Is this the case? Perhaps a low kick might work better. The low kick is for the get up attacks
[*]I'm not exactly sure what the Forward Tilt move is supposed to be doing. I'm thinking maybe if the hammer spins, that would be a nice effect. No, he just pokes it ahead
[*]The Up Tilt looks like a throw. Maybe a different attack would work? Gotcha, any suggestions?
[*]Is the Up Smash meant to be an attack with an upward velocity? Yes, it's similar to Wolf's Up Smash in a way
Comments in bold
  • I'm not sure what the "scrunching down like paper" effect would look like. How would the Down Tilt attack change if this effect were done?
  • For the Up-Tilt, perhaps you could do an over the head fist attack. The arm extends behind the head initially, then swings over the head to complete the attack.
  • Well, Game and Watch has extremely limited animation, and his bug spray attack performs multiple hits the more you tap A. How would the AAA combination work with the current set?
Bane84 Wrote:
  • I'm not sure what the "scrunching down like paper" effect would look like. How would the Down Tilt attack change if this effect were done? I got it handled
  • For the Up-Tilt, perhaps you could do an over the head fist attack. The arm extends behind the head initially, then swings over the head to complete the attack. I aleady have something in mind
  • Well, Game and Watch has extremely limited animation, and his bug spray attack performs multiple hits the more you tap A. How would the AAA combination work with the current set? I'll figure that out

Also updated the up tilt, added double jump, and fixed a few errors in the words
Hmm, excellent suggestions, Bane84. Actually, yeah, I was kinda confused about the ducking bit for this Paper Mario character. Isn't he usually shorter-looking than his "Normal", 3D counterpart? But making him taller will kill the point of the sheet, since it is supposed to be Paper Mario...

Unless he's just bigger in area than the other characters. But no. The proportion between in-game Paper Mario's and a Paper Koopa Troopa's heights coincides with the proportion between this Paper Mario's and the Brawl Koopa Troopa's.

So the 4-5 pixels lost in ducking isn't a problem. Paper Mario's just shorter than the rest of the characters. Tongue
  • Interesting! So you decided to use Kooper's Shell for the Up Tilt. I never would have thought of that. It makes sense. He would have the shell appear, then attack with it to cover a little extra range.
  • The duck looks much improved. Bravo.
  • I was thinking that perhaps, for a AAA combo, the attack cycles through the last three frames (from the hammer being down, it goes straight, then diagonal up, then straight, then diagonal down, etc).

I think the sheet is complete enough now to create a full character. There could still be a few more animations, such as a Win pose, and loss poses (clapping on the results screen), but that's just icing at this point.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5