The VG Resource

Full Version: Metal Slug series - Rebel Soldier Sprites
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
*whispering* Ooh boy. Here I go.*/whispering*
Hey everybody! I'm new here, and I've got something big!
After watching Alvin Earthworm's "Super Mario Bros. Z", I got hooked into spriting. Now I'm almost finished making my first sprite sheet! It’s a HUMONGOUS sheet of the hilarious Rebel Soldier from the "Metal Slug" series, one of my favorite enemies from any video game.

However... There is a BIG problem with my sheet...
I freely admit, I myself did not rip the vast majority of the sheet. I only did about 5% of the ripping, and those were from GIFs I found at Metal Slug sites like Metal Slug Database and Metal Slug Sprites.net...
But in my defense, I give everybody who ripped these sprites credit at the bottom of my sheet. Additionally, I created a number of custom sprites that are also at the bottom of the sheet (some are still works in progress). And to top it all off, I spend close to 4 to 5 months searching the internet, editing, compiling, and synchronizing the color schemes of hundreds of sprites for this character. Many sprites on this sheet are very hard to find out there...
I also have a huge section of the sheet devoted to SFX, (again, mostly ripped by somebody else [primarily Gussprint], but I still give credit). And to top it all off, I even have small lines of text beneath every group of sprites explaining what they are and how to animate them. (Those, I assure you, were done by me!)

So... My questions are:
1. Will you guys take this sheet when I complete it?
2. If not, what should I do so that I CAN submit it?
3. Even if you guys do, should I contact the people who ripped the sprites and get their permission?
4. And finally, IF my sheet manages to dodge all of these pitfalls... I will need someone to take me through the submission process. (I'm just a newbie)...

Regardless of what you guys say, thanks! And I apologize for this monster of a post... Sad
Well, uh... Dazz just forwarded an e-mail to me from The Mad Soldier, and he submitted a bunch of Metal Slug sprite sheets to tSR, including the Rebel Soldier, so we already have that in the queue...
Well I have two things:
1. Where is the sheet?
2. Why is this in the subbmissions section if you didn't rip anything?

But I'll answer the questions you asked
1. No.
2. Rip everything yourself.
3. No, as it won't be submitted.
4. It won't be submitted seeing that you only ripped 5%

Only stuff you rip can be submitted, even if you get permission.
(02-22-2009, 07:59 PM)Random Talking Bush Wrote: [ -> ]Well, uh... Dazz just forwarded an e-mail to me from The Mad Soldier, and he submitted a bunch of Metal Slug sprite sheets to tSR, including the Rebel Soldier, so we already have that in the queue...

Well, he's where I got most of my sprites from, I gave him special thanks in the credits for his contribution to my sheet.

It's good to know that he's submitting to this site!
After all, I was afraid he wouldn't, seeing as I found his rips on his English site and didn't know that he would try to submit here.
(02-22-2009, 08:00 PM)Chdonga Wrote: [ -> ]Well I have two things:
1. Where is the sheet?
2. Why is this in the subbmissions section if you didn't rip anything?

But I'll answer the questions you asked
1. No.
2. Rip everything yourself.
3. No, as it won't be submitted.
4. It won't be submitted seeing that you only ripped 5%

Only stuff you rip can be submitted, even if you get permission.

Okay, I should-a figured you guys are picky about that. I'm sorry!

But, since you asked, do you want me to post the sheet?
I'm giving you a fair warning, it's pretty big (1.5 megabites in size).

Since you pointed it out... well darn... I can't rip the sprites myself. My laptop's got a virus... Not only that, but it would be a huge waste of time! I already have the sprites! Oh well. At least I tried! Thanks for telling me Chdonga!
I'm pretty sure the first rule is "only submit your own stuff"
And his English website? Dazz is from the U of K you know?
(02-22-2009, 09:02 PM)Goemar Wrote: [ -> ]I'm pretty sure the first rule is "only submit your own stuff"
And his English website? Dazz is from the U of K you know?

No, I mean the Mad Soldier... He's from France, so he's got two websites, one in French, and one in English...

And now I just realized I should have posted this in Sprite Disscussions... Man. My first day here isn't going well...
Now I realize why I thought talking about this was a good idea! I just went back to the rules about submitting to this site on the Main Page, found the section on Credit, Theft, and Stealing for Submissions, and read this part, (and I quote):

"About Credit, Theft and Editing
If you want to make your own sprite sheet using content of an already existing sheet (Such as editing the sheet to make a new sheet, or even ripping from the game and expanding, but using the already ripped sprites from a pre-existing sheet) be sure to give credit to the original person. Even if they say you don't need to give credit, I'd suggest you do."

This is what threw me off. Apparently you guys must have changed the rules without changing this section. Man, now I realize why I thought making this monster of a sprite sheet was a good idea... I even put thanks and credit to the guys who did the ripping. Okay. I've gotten all that out of my system.

Oh! On one last note... I didn't post the sheet right at the start of this thread for the reasons:
a. I was unsure if you guys would accept it.
And b. It's 1.5 megabites in size. This is including the fact that it's in .PNG format!

If you guys really want to see it though, I will be happy to post it. It's up to you!