The VG Resource

Full Version: Fighting game styled sprites
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Here are my fighting game styled sprites. Yeah, short description, but I don't feel like blablabla okay here are the sprites.

[Image: mario.png][Image: drmario.png][Image: yoshi.png][Image: kirby.png][Image: pikachu.png][Image: pichu.png][Image: sonic.png][Image: megaman.png][Image: dannyphantom.png][Image: tashigi.png]

These are the "Sunset Pose" sprites, based on the intro / ending sequence of SSBB. I'm the least content with Dr. Mario, though. I'm also not really that content with Tashigi, but for now it's the best I can come up with.

All from scratch, except for Dr. Mario, for which I used the original Mario sprite, and Mega Man, which is just a cheap edit, but required for a small side-project I'm working on.

[Image: megaman_stand.png][Image: splashwoman_stand.png][Image: arthur_stand.png][Image: spiderman_stand.png][Image: venom_stand.png][Image: silversurfer_stand.png][Image: terrybogard_stand.png][Image: nakoruru_stand.png][Image: homsar_stand.png][Image: vgcatsaeris_stand.png][Image: blossom_stand.png][Image: bubbles_stand.png][Image: buttercup_stand.png][Image: secretsquirrel_stand.png][Image: pennyss_stand.png][Image: darthvader_stand.png]

All of them are Midnight Bliss transformations. Most of them are edits, the ones that aren't are either fully or partially traced, with the exception of one, where I only used the face of the original sprite. Naturally you'll have to guess to who these transformations belong, but if you really feel the need to cheat you could just go to my site.

I'm not satisfied with most, but some of which I am are actually just edits, like Arthur, which is an obvious edit of Charlotte and Arthur mashed together, and Darth Vader. The only 99% custom sprite here I'm really proud of is Splash Woman, who is in fact modeled after one of my favorite Disney characters ever. 80% of the Midnight Bliss transformations above were actually made for existing MUGEN projects, I only leave it up to the creators of the characters to implement them.

[Image: megaman_choke.png]
[Image: spiderman_choke.png]
[Image: nakoruru_choke.png]
[Image: homsar_choke.png]

Additional choking animations for the Midnight Bliss transformations.

[Image: imt_004_amalicezombie.png][Image: imt_005_giselle.png]

These sprites are all the contest sprites I've entered thus far, save for a third one. Both come from the Infinity Mugen Team's SpRiTe Of ThE wEeK cOnTeSt, number four and five respectively. The first one had "zombies" as a theme, where any character can be zombified. The second one had "Disney" as the theme.

I'm personally not really satisfied with both, and to be honest, the third one is probably the worst of them all, probably one of the worst sprites I've made ever. I might post the third one here after the contest is done so that you could judge for yourself, though. The main issue I had was the proportions, in comparison to other characters of the same style, Alice was too small, while Giselle was too big. The third sprite does have the right proportions, but in my opinion it's actually a horrible sprite overall.

Do note that in contrary to many other sprites entered in the contest, mine are all custom. What does surprise me though is that some of the sprites entered, even though obvious edits, have horrible shading, although it could also be due to wrong choice of color shades. It is however so that those who do it right, actually manage to create impressive edits. You often can't tell they are edits at all, they look that official.

I also want to note that all of the "Sunset Pose" sprites as well as the sprites I've submitted for the contests have a color limit of 16 colors (that is if you count the transparent background as a color). I'm not sure about the other sprites here, though. I do know that the Powerpuff Girls and both Hanna-Barbera based Midnight Bliss sprites also have the 16 color limit.

Those aren't actually all, but at least all I've put in the sprite section of my site. I do have more sprites for Homsar, but I'll be posting them at another time, seeing as I haven't actually gotten around sheeting these sprites properly, due to the fact that I'm actually working on a MUGEN character with these sprites. The Homsar sprites are fully custom, no tracing done.

Also, the sprites I posted are all public domain, so anyone could use them without permission and / or credits, although you may not claim them as your own, mainly due to the anti-sprite-steal brigade every sprite site has, and because it just isn't correct. But anyway, if you find some good uses to these sprites, use them. Especially the Sunset Pose sprites might have some good uses. Like wallpapers. Or... wallpapers... Or signatures.
And as promised, the third contest submission:

[Image: imt_006_captainn.png]

Theme: '80s cartoons.
Haha Teen Powerpuff girls. Thats great. Lol.

Whats up with Sonic, looks kind of weird is he supposed to be crossing his arms or something?
I honestly have no idea. The original had pretty much the same pose.
Awesome.
Great bump there pal.
Eh, whatever. I hadn't seen this topic and since it's been bumped, I'll give my two cents.
Pretty awesome job. People around here tend to avoid fighting game sprites because of the sheer magnitude, but you seem to have it pretty well handled. I think Pikachu and Kirby are great, but the other characters look just slightly off-model. Mario and Yoshi are so close to being perfect, but aren't quite there. The Sonic does look a bit funky though.
As for Captain N, Duke looks great, but the Captain is a bit stiff.
Modestly Hot Homsar ftw.

Pichu's Body is too big though. His body is roughly half the size of his head. yours is about the same size.
Oh, hi there folks.

Anyway, thanks for the comments, and here's another one I made recently for another contest. In fact, I have two I made for contests.

[Image: imt_007_samusbles.png]
Theme: Amalgam

[Image: imt_011_elvispresley.png]
Theme: Music Icons

I pretty much don't really like the Elvis, but the problem is, when entering sprite contests, I never edit. That's probably also the reason why people tend to vote on other characters (aside from the fact that they often just vote for the joke sprites). They look better, simply because they actually use sprite bases. But for me, when there's a contest, I never have a big part of my sprite be an edit. I even prefer a 100% custom sprite to be submitted. Otherwise it wouldn't even be a sprite contest anyway.

@Shroob2: I think you're right about Pichu, but I also feel that overall, or at least compared to Pikachu, Pichu looks a tad too small.

@Ton: I know what you're getting at, especially with Mario and Yoshi. Eventually I just had something like, screw it, though, since, well, I'm still working on my novel. And people keep nagging about my Homsar project for MUGEN, which I might even announce as cancelled later today (or tomorrow, depending on what your time zone is). But anyway, most of them were pretty much done in one day, and I would say, yes, most of them were rushed.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the next sprite contest on this board. The only reason I even enter contests is to improve my skills, and I think that's just what sprite contests should be about anyway.