The VG Resource

Full Version: [DRAWING] Some character design stuff (image heavy)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
DOES WHAT IT SAYS ON THE TIN.

I'm planning on collaborating with TAK / PatientZero to put a game together. It won't be for some time but I'm coming up with basic ideas and fleshing them out currently.

Thought I'd post up the character design ideas I've been working on.

These are the earliest drawings. They're looking really stiff pose-wise, but that's something I've been practicing with blah blah blah you don't really need to know that.

This is the player character. Based on a little headshot doodle + a sprite I whipped up a while back and never did anything with.
[Image: dd20090126-lo.jpg]
FIRST EVER YAY. That wrench is ridiculous.
[Image: dd20090127-lo.jpg]
Made the wrench smaller and tweaked the design some. I was having a lot of trouble visualising how she'd actually use the huge wrench as a weapon, hence the downsize. I think it looks better anyway.
[Image: dd20090129-lo.jpg]
Messing with the overalls, fucked up the legs, blarg.

These are all from the last week or so:
[Image: feb11.jpg]
Basic idea for one of the bosses. She's some kind of gorgon sorceress goth ... thing. Yeah.
I decided to do away with the poofy lolita skirt because they're ugly and don't flow with a pose at all.
[Image: feb16-1.jpg]
It is a closely guarded fact that all goths like europop. Seriously.
Drawing that profile snout whatever made me decide to put noses onto these character designs. Simple style be damned.
[Image: feb16-2-1.jpg]
(this is a bit fuzzy from resizing. Woops)
REDUX. I'm starting to get better with posing I think. Added the stripes on the snake + tights to give them some more weight. Not sure if I'll keep it or not.
edit
It doesn't read so well without colour, but she's wearing a corset + skirt. Looking at it now it looks like she's just wearing some kinda bra and is missing a bellybutton. Ew.
I like them overall especially the wrench girl one.
The last drawing I don't really like it cause the stripes make the snake look a lot like an anaconda and do you think a creepy goth girl is going to carry a heavy anaconda on her hair.
I don't think so.

I had a question I really want to draw some awesome stuff like that any good tips?
Do you seriously draw everyday as a training technic?
For the last month or so, yeah, I've been trying to draw at least one thing every day. It can be kind of a chore sometimes but other days I'll just get a burst of creativity and draw a whole lot in one go.

Really the best way to improve is practice. Lots. And, as boring as it is, draw from life and try to get a good idea of how bodies work. I'm not really sure where to say to start. I might put together a resource and tutorial thread here, I made one on Pixeltendo. Also try and pick up a couple of How to Draw books. Don't follow them to the letter, but a lot of them have some good tips on how to structure the body and what to keep in mind when coming up with poses, etc. Mostly though, I'm afraid it's just practice and drawing from life.
Taking up art classes is always advisable too.
I've really only been drawing seriously since I was 14 or 15 (so that's about 4 or 5 years), maybe even later, since most of what I did back then was just samey-looking doodles.

Incidentally the snake isn't on her hair, it's part of it. Like medusa, but with just one snake as a ponytail rather than a mass of 'em.
Yo do realise Anacondas are HUGE, right? and that loads of snakes have patterns, right? I immediately thought of a Coral snake, and IMO a black/red/yellow hairstyle would be awesome for a villain.

The main char is pretty cool. If you're willing to go fdor suspension of disbelief, you could have the tool increase in size when she attacks with it. Capcom/SNK beat-em-ups with chibi characters do that a lot, and IMO it looks goofy, but cool.
http://www.spriters-resource.com/psx_ps2...sheet/6552 (Scroll down to about halway, where Akuma's attacks are shown.)

Also it'd be neat if there were different tools that you could use, that have different ranges/attack speeds or could be used in different puzzles. A wrench, a screwdriver, a blowtorch...
Having different tools is a really cool idea actually! I was thinking that I needed something to change it up a bit in terms of attack but I didn't think of anything as obvious as just changing the tools. I'm the cleverest.

I wasn't going for any specific kind of snake really, just kinda popped into my head. I might go for something akin to a coralsnake though, I was having trouble coming up with a colourscheme for this character anyway. :B

Goofy is good! I'm thinking of mostly making this look pretty cutesy, like old-school platformers. I might not be animating this since I think it's a little ambitious to try and do a whole game when I've got no past experience, but I'll keep the changing-size thing in mind and pass it on to TAK. It depends on how easy it is for him to put it together, really.
Thanks for the advice I'll practice a lot before I post some stuff up.

I also like the idea of different tools could you tell me the name of the villain and the main character?
Hey Zemmort I had a question could you please post a picture of the base you use for drawing cause I use the circle and cross for the head but I don't know much about the rest of the body.

Please don't double post, it's unsightly. Besides, this line of conversation would be better handled over PM. Don't want to derail threads, do we?
~GrooveMan.exe
I like the second Snake pic the most.