The VG Resource

Full Version: Interactive Tile Technology
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://www.ted.com/talks/david_merrill_d...locks.html

Granted the basic idea has been done before, but assuming there's a docking station that lets you swap in/out the programming on each tile (they probably operate on flash memory storage), it's a nice platform for interesting games.

Therefore, ITT: We make up games to play on this thing.

Assume that the console that recharges these has a screen and input buttons in its own right, and additional tiles can be bought.

Will edit post with my (probably crappy) idea shortly.

Edit: So yeah, what immediately came to mind was a table-top strategy game of some kind. Tiles contain data of characters and items, and you and the opponent take turns placing characters, items, and other objects (terrain?) to defeat eachother's characters. Maybe tilting a tile in the direction of another shifts objects between the tiles, so characters can move between tiles.
I can't come up with any game ideas at the moment, but those are pretty slick tile things.
Update first post with my idea. It's an interesting medium, but thinking up games for it really is hard.
Real life bejeweled.
jigsaw puzzle games.
Did anyone ever see those toys that were based on a similar idea?

They were blocks with little LCD screens with stick people in them
and you could stack them and they'd interact.

This is obviously rather more advanced but it's a similar principle. I'm having difficulty in seeing how it could be useful or even used for games, though. I stand to be corrected, but as cool as it is I just don't see it becoming anything more than a cool idea :/
Seems like a waste of technology. I cannot see a single use for these and how awkward would it be taking these things around with you?
pokemon puzzle league.
(02-16-2009, 07:22 AM)Zeemort Wrote: [ -> ]Did anyone ever see those toys that were based on a similar idea?

They were blocks with little LCD screens with stick people in them
and you could stack them and they'd interact.

This is obviously rather more advanced but it's a similar principle. I'm having difficulty in seeing how it could be useful or even used for games, though. I stand to be corrected, but as cool as it is I just don't see it becoming anything more than a cool idea :/

You mean CubeWorld? Adverts for those were on tv all the time in the last 2 years. I had those come to mind when I saw that video too (which is why I said the technology has been done before).

@ Tyvon: That might be a few too many tiles required. Just a few.
Yeah, cubeworld. I remember seeing the ads a little while back, but I don't watch much TV any more so I didn't know if they were still about
As a teaching aid, I can see this happening.
As a thing you go into a shop and buy, no. Not one bit.

I think the comments on the video also bring up lots of interesting points.