The VG Resource

Full Version: So How Do You Rip From the Switch Anyway?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The Switch is a very popular platform and a whole lot of things are released on there that I know are in engines I know how to rip from. Like Unity, for example. But I do not have any idea how to get at the files themselves, because unpacking the rom to get to it is not something I know how to do. I've looked things up, but I haven't had much luck finding a tutorial that I can actually access since so many reddits went dark because of the API changes. I've tried to stumble my way through it myself, but all I've managed to do is emulate something and play it which, while... fine, isn't exactly what I want.

So I suppose there's always the hard way, but there HAS to be a way to get at the files, right?
Hey Weoooo, you can extract the ROM files of Switch games using either Yuzu or Ryujinx:

For Yuzu
  1. Make sure your game of choice appears in the game list.
  2. Right-click the game and click Dump RomFS > Dump RomFS.
  3. A new window should appear, asking how you would like the game dumped. Selected "Full". Wait for the extraction to be complete.
  4. A window should appear in File Explorer for the dumped game.

For Ryujinx
  1. Make sure your game of choice appears in the game list.
  2. Right-click the game and select Extract Data > RomFS, then choose a location for the dump. Keep note of this directory.

I hope this helps!
Jesus christ. I was running command line prompts. How did I get steered so wrong? Thanks so much.
Not a problem!

DJ~