The VG Resource

Full Version: (Debunked) Alert: MALWARE INFECTION.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Moments ago I decided to check your site and immediately my antivirus caught and stopped 11 malware and hijack attempts, PLUS an infamous fake antivirus (Antivirus 2009, which is actually a scam that infects your computer) attempted to install itself on my computer.
Before you ask, no. I was clean of any infection *before* visiting your site (I'm a security fanatic) so please check the site and forum databse to find what is happening and who was the jackass who linked that crap to your site.
Link, please. Site, forum, where?

Could have been an ad as well.
Link? Just this place's front page and I didn't had any other open windows back then. The forum also refused to load and it showed an error 404 window as well.
Get Firefox and AdBlock. lol
Correction: AdBlock Plus

I checked the main site and nothing appears out of the ordinary. The only thing that could trigger a malware notice is if a bad advertisement snuck in with the other ads on the site. That can happen from time to time.
When the forum was screwed with earlier we pulled it offline which explains the 404, as for the malware... I can't seem to replicate any sort of security dialogue...
(02-01-2009, 10:50 AM)Maneko Wrote: [ -> ]Link? Just this place's front page and I didn't had any other open windows back then. The forum also refused to load and it showed an error 404 window as well.
Everything's fine for me on this side. You either got a bad ad, which can happen sometimes (but shouldn't really happen more than once or twice, those are usually caught by the ad network), you have something messed up in your computer that's causing it or you're using a shitload of shitty "Internet Security" software that nag over nothing in order to justify the money people spend on that crap.

EDIT: Can you post some screenshots or something? If you're getting a false positive, I want to know who I have to email in order for them to cut it out.
Hey. I use Nod 32 (Updated daily) and Malware Bytes Anti-malware plus CCclean anti trojan/spyware combo to keep my machine 100% free of infections (I already said that I'm kinda paranoid) so "shitty internet security" or an already infected machine aren't the case here.
I didn't got to save a screenshoot because "Antivirus 2009" is a self installing malware that must be dealt and cleaned *immediately* if you don't want hours of problems later, but if you think it was just a bad ad I will take your word for it, since this isn't the first time I've seen it happen.

Honestly, with the board down and all the fights and struggles I got to see here before that, I thought this site had been invaded once again but hey, better safe than sorry.
Okay, I'll take your word for it. I know some security software loves to bitch about stuff like cookies like they were a huge scary virus, but you seem more knowledgeable than that. Stuff that tries to install itself into your computer is always a huge deal, I do hope it was just a rogue ad.

We just have some "friends" that love trying to guess people's passwords and security questions. This poses a problem when some admins aren't careful with their email's passwords and stuff. I don't believe they sneaked any malicious code in (definitely not the main site, actual access to the site's files is pretty restricted), but I will take a closer look at things, thanks.

Tell me if you get it again, a screenshot of the ads and error message from your anti-virus would be great.
(02-01-2009, 03:11 AM)Maneko Wrote: [ -> ]Moments ago I decided to check your site and immediately my antivirus caught and stopped 11 malware and hijack attempts, PLUS an infamous fake antivirus (Antivirus 2009, which is actually a scam that infects your computer) attempted to install itself on my computer.
Before you ask, no. I was clean of any infection *before* visiting your site (I'm a security fanatic) so please check the site and forum databse to find what is happening and who was the jackass who linked that crap to your site.

Actually I constantly get a pop-up from Live Care about some exploitation program trying to install itself when I come here at times.

Twice.
It only happens sometimes, right? Definitely a rogue ad, then. Please get a screenshot of the ad if you can so Dazz can report them to the ad network.
I've actually had problems with this site attempting to open Adobe Acrobat while I was browsing either these forums or the main site. I didn't allow that, of course.
(02-02-2009, 10:32 PM)Bane84 Wrote: [ -> ]I've actually had problems with this site attempting to open Adobe Acrobat while I was browsing either these forums or the main site. I didn't allow that, of course.

I've had the same problem on occasion: I'll be browsing the forum, then Google will flash a new page (I'm using Google Chrome) that says 'This site may harm your computer!' , blah blah blah, and if left unattended the page will quickly change to Adobe Acrobat reader. At this point I hit the back button a few times, and all is well again.
Definitely sounds like a rogue ad, but there's no way I would be able to get a picture of it thanks to Google's warning page that pops up.
A little while ago Google had this problem.
Another site I went to also had this problem.
I'm pretty sure it's harmless, and just a bug. But don't take my word for it.
(02-02-2009, 10:32 PM)Bane84 Wrote: [ -> ]I've actually had problems with this site attempting to open Adobe Acrobat while I was browsing either these forums or the main site. I didn't allow that, of course.
Same happened here, except it also froze Firefox on me, and I had to close and restart.
Pages: 1 2