The VG Resource

Full Version: Help with Game Boy Art Limits
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello, I'm new here. I want to make custom sprites at the spriters resource but I need to know about Game Boy art limits first.

I also need help with what's good pixel art and bad pixel art.

Please help me.  Sad
Will someone ever reply!?
It's like they don't care about it.  Cry Cry Cry
You barely waited two hours.

The forums aren't as active as they used to be. You may have better luck asking on the Discord.
can you explain about Game Boy art limits here please?
(08-03-2022, 09:24 AM)Z-man Wrote: [ -> ]can you explain about Game Boy art limits here please?

I'll help you with that, assuming you're going to make Gameboy-style art following the system's limitations. The OG Gameboy can only display 4 colors (in which they are in hex value, 081820, 346856, 88C070, and E0F8D0) in a screen size of 160-pixel by 144-pixel format. Sprites shown on-screen mostly can have up to 3 out of the 4 available colors that OG Gameboy can use and can only display up to 10 sprites per horizontal line, and up to 40 sprites at a time. Although, you might wanna keep in mind that the graphics/pixel art used on the Gameboy screen requires to use graphic tiles that are 8-pixels by 8-pixels (up to 360 8x8 graphic tiles), so you might have to make each part of the pixel art no more than 8x8 pixels.

Hope that's helps. ^^"
Thank you very much!