The VG Resource

Full Version: Hi everybody! Back after 8 years
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello everybody! I made an account here many years ago but haven't logged on in almost eight years so I'm basically a new user at this point lol. While I haven't actually signed on with my user name, I have been checking this site on and off as a guest this whole time to see all the cool models you guys have been working on. I don't know if anybody here remembers me back from the Brawl modding days but I used to make a ton of mods back then. In the beginning, all of my mods were just edited models of existing characters in Smash, where I reshaped their models into other characters. That was called a "vertex edit". Towards the end of my modding days, I eventually moved onto starting to create my own custom models. For many of these, I used a combination of parts from existing models as well as creating my own parts. A few models, like Kabutops and Genesect, I made pretty much entirely from scratch.

I've been out of the modding scene for almost 10 years now and I've sadly forgotten most of the skills that I once knew. Recently, I've gotten the urge to get back into modding during my free time. I just set up Super Smash Bros. Ultimate to run mods and imported a ton of really great models that other users have worked on. I'd love to try a few myself but I'm basically starting from scratch at this point because it's been so long since I did anything. My skills have always been more on the artistic side more than the technical side so I never actually learned how to rig a skeleton or rip models or sounds from games. Because of this, I'm not sure if there's a whole lot I can contribute to this site. I would love to share any custom models that I make if I do get back into making mods myself. I have quite a few ideas I've been really wanting to try.

There are a few specific things I've been searching years online for that I've never been able to find that I'll expand on in the Requests section since this isn't really the place for that. I can completely understand if nobody would be interested in my request since I've been inactive for so long. I'm also willing to try to learn how to get these myself if nobody is up for it but I'm not very technically gifted so I'm worried I'll never be able to figure it out. Anyway, I don't want to drag my introduction down with all that, and I'd love to try to contribute to this site in any way that my talents allow. If anybody is interested in any of the models I've already worked on for Smash Bros. Brawl, I'd be happy to share them, I'm just not sure if those are the types of models that really qualify for this site.

Thank you very much
Hey! The Brawl modder! Tabuu Forte Akugun the PSA modder here! How've you been??
Thanks, I've been doing great actually, how about you? I was really nervous this whole time about trying to start up modding again because I keep hearing all of these things about how much more difficult it is but I finally decided to brave it and take the plunge. To my surprise, everything actually worked! So far, we only have other people's characters and voice mods but we just dumped our copy of the game today so we'll be able to add music and hopefully create our own mods in the future. I'm going to try learning how to rig a skeleton so I can try to import some of my favorite characters. It isn't going to be quite the same as Brawl since I feel like vertex editing let you show off a bit more creativity than simply importing but I think it could still be a lot of fun. If I can learn how to make my own models again, that will be even better.
Nice! I used to LOVE your vertex mods, you and Pik were easily the BEST.

Well I'm devloping my OWN Smash game now, a fangame called Smash Bros. Feud, and I'm using a lot of the stuff I learned in Wii U and Brawl modding to do it! It's fun. A slow process, doing it solo, but a heap of fun! Rigging, skinning, modelling, animating, programming/scripting, etc!

I miss Brawl modding a lot, I actually wanted to keep making moveset but now they'd have to be for Ultimate to get viewed I guess.
Pik is actually still somewhat active in the Ultimate discord. He's made a few mods. I started making a mod for Magus from Chrono Trigger in Brawl years ago before I stopped and then tried to start again in Smash 4 before I gave up. Pik told me that Magus was actually on his to do list. Magus is one of my favorite characters so that would be awesome. I'll have to talk to Pik again and see if he still plans to do that because that's something I'd be interested in if not.

I do wish I had the technical knowledge to be able to rip models and sounds myself. There are a few characters I really want to make that I've never been able to find anything for. My only options are to try to make a new model myself and piece together a voice mod using clips from the same actor or make a request topic here and see if anybody here is interested.
Hmmmm, it's a long time ago, I don't seem to remember a Magus mod you made.

I rip myself, but my knowledge is pretty limited. I only use tools and formats I'm familiar with XD
The only Magus mod I ever released was one of my very first vertex edits when I was first learning. It was over Ganondorf. I was making a new model using parts of Vegeta and Piccolo and using hair and capes from other characters. I made a ton of my own parts but I never got around to actually finishing that one. Do you by chance know how to rip PS2 models and sounds? I'm not going to ask here but I'll make a separate request topic to see if anyone is interested.
Unfortunately, I do not. PlayStation are those consoles that are fairly elusive to rip from. I myself want King Cold from DBZ:BT3 rigged with bones, but a lot of PS2 games have very hard to get skeletons from what I hear.

I mostly extract from Nintendo games.
No worries, I appreciate the offer though. There are definitely models from Nintendo games I’m interested in as well but I don’t want to get too greedy with requests. It will be a miracle if anyone can even fulfill the main one I’m looking for lol. Hopefully someone in the requests section has some knowledge of ripping from PS2 games but I’ve gone over 10 years without the voice or model so I’ll manage.
Oof, talk about a long wait! What else you been up to lately?
I’m actually working from home full time now as a medical coding professional, which is pretty cool. The pay is mediocre but I save a bunch of money on gas so it works out. I’ve been playing Metroid Dread and Triangle Strategy. I managed to get to Raven Beak but I suck at games so I need to wait for my friend to help me beat him lol. I just watched season 1 of Arcane, which was amazing. I knew absolutely nothing about League of Legends beforehand but that show made me a fan. So much so that I dropped Magic: Arena, which I had been playing since launch for Legends of Runeterra. What have you been up to?
Ooh, Dread is a cool game. But I hate the EMMI, cheap bastards lol. The timing is SO tight to counter these things I'm currently stuck lol

Aside from that, I'm in training to be an opera/classical-style singer! I love it to bits, I prefer this over gamedev!
Hey, it's always nice to see old members return here! I'm glad your interest in models was reignited this way.
Yeah, the counter is actually the main reason I can’t beat the final boss. I’m just not very good at getting the timing right. I played against him enough that I actually got pretty good at dodging his attacks but there are parts of the fight where countering is mandatory.

That’s awesome, I wish you the best of luck in your singing career. I remember that I really wanted to become a singer as a kid but I was never cut out for it.

Thanks for the welcome. I’ve always remained really interested in models and this site but I was never very knowledgeable about all the technical stuff so I always just browsed as a guest since I wasn’t sure what I could contribute. Now that I might try to learn modding again, there might be something I can offer here if I can think of what that might be.
Amen. I'm stuck in the beginning, too lol

Really?? Which musical style did you want to study?
Pages: 1 2