The VG Resource

Full Version: How to rip sprites/backgrounds from Wonder Project J2?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I tried to rip sprites from this game before, but the graphics are a bunch of segmented textures because of the Nintendo 64's notoriously low 4 Kb texture cache. They seem to use 8-bit color palettes from a 16-bit color base. I can't seem to see anything in the ROM because the data is compressed aside from the color palettes. Also, next to no one has documented this game's data.
I reverse engineered the ROM and wrote a program for extracting the sprites here, although I haven't figured out backgrounds yet. The backgrounds seem to use a different segmentation format than the sprites but the individual pixels are clearly visible when decompressing the raw data and viewing it in a binary visualizer like binocle.

[Image: MMuoD6C.png]

Those top pixels are where the segment offset and size are supposed to be for sprites, but I think they're palette data in this case.
It only seems to go up to 3969, even though there are supposed to be 4872 of them.