The VG Resource

Full Version: How to extract png from dat file?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
hi everyone, these past couple days i have been trying to rip a lot of the sprites from youkai watch puni puni, a lot of them seem to be stored in .dat files. i opened one up in notepad++ and it had a png file name in it so i assume that's what's stored in it but i have no idea how to get to it. is there a program or something that could get them out for me? i tried to search past threads but everything i found either went way over my head or i tried it and it didn't work. thanks! :)

i've also uploaded one of them here in case anyone wants to mess with it, if the link doesn't work please let me know
that particular file contains indeed these strings in pairs, just before a bunch of entries that appear to be 0x27 bytes in width:
all_ef_s01_02_1 and all_ef_s01_02.png,
all_ef_s01_03_1 and all_ef_s01_03.png,
all_ef_s01_01_1 and all_ef_s01_01.png,
all_ef_s01_01_2 and all_ef_s01_01.png,
all_ef_s01_01_3 and all_ef_s01_01.png,
all_ef_s01_01_4 and all_ef_s01_01.png

But the data doesn't look like graphics, more like models or something. I'm not familiar with the game but I don't believe these files contain sprites.
(04-18-2021, 12:12 PM)Raccoon Sam Wrote: [ -> ]that particular file contains indeed these strings in pairs, just before a bunch of entries that appear to be 0x27 bytes in width:
all_ef_s01_02_1 and all_ef_s01_02.png,
all_ef_s01_03_1 and all_ef_s01_03.png,
all_ef_s01_01_1 and all_ef_s01_01.png,
all_ef_s01_01_2 and all_ef_s01_01.png,
all_ef_s01_01_3 and all_ef_s01_01.png,
all_ef_s01_01_4 and all_ef_s01_01.png

But the data doesn't look like graphics, more like models or something. I'm not familiar with the game but I don't believe these files contain sprites.

hm that's weird, this file was in between 2 sprites and is named similarly to them so that's why i thought it also was one. a lot of stuff from the game seems to be missing from the files even though i used bluestacks tweaker to download it...is there a way to get these files out anyway? they might be something else i'm looking for