The VG Resource

Full Version: $19+ mod SMT Devil Survivor Overclocked to play back stereo music
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My issue isn't really extracting or replacing music, that's simple, but rather modifying the game's code to copy channel 1 to the left speaker and channel 2 to the right speaker, instead of copying channel 1 to both speakers.
I've decompiled the game in Ghidra, but I couldn't dream of understanding assembly, so this is too much for me. I do know some things which are likely very helpful, though, if anybody wants to take this up:

1. Channel reference(?) is likely set per-file. So, every track's info table would have to be modified individually. I believe this is how it's done in games which use BCSARs, anyhow. Try feeding a stereo 3DS game a mono audio file and it goes berserk (literally just tested this with Devil Survivor 2 Record Breaker)

2. The game does output according to the 3DS audio setting, be it mono, stereo, or surround. Well I have no way of testing stereo, but it's safe to assume so. Surround effects DO apply to the game despite being mono, so the output mode isn't a hurdle at least. Therefor, it's same to assume that the only edits required are to the channels copied and where they're copied.

Anyhow, resources are provided to help, like a stereo audio file that replaces the title theme. Of course, in its current state, only the left channel is played.

bounty link: https://www.bountysource.com/issues/9649...c-playback