The VG Resource

Full Version: Custom Final Fantasy character suggestions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I couldn't help but notice, there are literally zero custom sprites for Final Fantasy VIII. The lack of custom Final Fantasy sprites in general makes me sad, so I decided to start working on some.

I'm curious, what Final Fantasy VIII characters would people like to see? This won't be my next submission, so you have some time to mull it over, but it will probably be the submission after the next.
Honestly, anyone. But Squall would probably be the most popular.
(06-22-2020, 07:42 AM)Ton Wrote: [ -> ]Honestly, anyone. But Squall would probably be the most popular.

Yeah he probably would be huh? Honestly between Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts I'm kinda surprised he doesn't have a few custom sprite sheets up already. Maybe its because the scar means you can't flip animations? Normally I focus on working on support/less popular characters considering so many people have or will make custom work of the more central characters, but I feel like I may need to make an exception in this case.

I asked around offline and I did get a few responses. Specifically Biggs & Wedge (it would be weird to separate them) and Selphie were requested.
The only answer I could ever truly give is Rinoa, honestly.
I forgot Selphie existed, but now I 100% support Selphie.
Maybe you could try doing Cloud. He's on smash bros, IDK if that means he's popular or not
@The Observer: Rinoa would be fun to work on! Naturally I'd need to do Angelo as well if I did a Rinoa sheet. Maybe I'll do two Final Fantasy VIII characters in a row instead of hopping to another Final Fantasy immediately like I originally planned.

@Ton: Selphie is one of my favorites too! Her and Fujin. By the way, you may want to consider unequiping your GFs. I have it under good authority that GF use is linked to memory loss...

@DogToon64: Thank you for the suggestion! I'm actually focusing on Final Fantasy VIII characters right now, Cloud is from Final Fantasy VII. Incidentally, I did submit a sheet of Cid Highwind from FF VII last week (Thanks for accepting it so quickly Ton!). You are right though, Cloud is super popular. That's why he made it into Smash actually. Apparently Terra Branford (FF VI) and the Onion Knight (FF III) were also considered, but ultimately Cloud was chosen due to his popularity in the States. There are actually a lot of Cloud sheets on the site, including a super cool Zelda 2 sheet by Mr. Mike, so I'll probably be focusing on the characters that don't have any custom work yet.
Apologies for the radio silence, but the results are in! Selphie won overwhelmingly with double the vote of all other eligible submissions. The sheet was accepted yesterday (thanks for accepting it so quickly Ton!) and can be viewed here. I may have gone a bit overboard by adding the Cadet and SeeD uniforms...

I kind of alluded to this before, but I plan to periodically submit Final Fantasy character sprites. I have a few ideas in mind for characters from IV, VI, VIII, and IX I want to do, but I'll need some time to narrow down on what I want to focus on next. That and I had a few other projects I want to prioritize for the foreseeable future. In the meantime though, any other suggestions for Final Fantasy characters are more than welcome! I'm down for anyone from any of the games, but might I point out that Final Fantasy II doesn't have any custom work yet.
Hmm, who would be a fun FF character to see?

Faris from FF5 is one of my faves. Anyone from 6 or 9 are always great. How about Cait Sith from 7?

If you want a suggestion from FF2 specifically, there's always the big man himself, Firion.
(07-29-2020, 01:43 PM)Ton Wrote: [ -> ]Hmm, who would be a fun FF character to see?

Faris from FF5 is one of my faves. Anyone from 6 or 9 are always great. How about Cait Sith from 7?

If you want a suggestion from FF2 specifically, there's always the big man himself, Firion.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Faris is one my favorites too. Out of curiosity, do you prefer the purple hair design or the blonde design? Thinking on it FFV has a bunch of fun characters! I should totally make a Ghido spritesheet.

I'm actually surprised Cait Sith doesn't have any custom stuff yet. The fact that half of the party, particularly Aerith, doesn't have any custom work is kind of baffling to me. Since we are on the subject of FFVII I did have a quick question for you. So I'm guessing anything from the Compilation of FFVII would just go on the FFVII custom page right? Like if I made a Cissnei spritesheet I'd just need to make a Before Crisis section to put it in, am I understanding this correctly?

I really love what they've done with Firion from Dissidia onwards. The weaponmaster thing is a really cool way of representing FFII's battle mechanics. I don't know why, but my first thought when I think of FFII characters is Minwu for some reason. I definitely want to do an Emperor Mateus sheet at some point. He's slowly becoming one my favorite villains because of the Dissidia titles.
(07-29-2020, 08:11 PM)Spriter Theo Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-29-2020, 01:43 PM)Ton Wrote: [ -> ]Hmm, who would be a fun FF character to see?

Thanks for the suggestions!

Faris is one my favorites too. Out of curiosity, do you prefer the purple hair design or the blonde design? Thinking on it FFV has a bunch of fun characters! I should totally make a Ghido spritesheet.

I'm actually surprised Cait Sith doesn't have any custom stuff yet. The fact that half of the party, particularly Aerith, doesn't have any custom work is kind of baffling to me. Since we are on the subject of FFVII I did have a quick question for you. So I'm guessing anything from the Compilation of FFVII would just go on the FFVII custom page right? Like if I made a Cissnei spritesheet I'd just need to make a Before Crisis section to put it in, am I understanding this correctly?

I really love what they've done with Firion from Dissidia onwards. The weaponmaster thing is a really cool way of representing FFII's battle mechanics. I don't know why, but my first thought when I think of FFII characters is Minwu for some reason. I definitely want to do an Emperor Mateus sheet at some point. He's slowly becoming one my favorite villains because of the Dissidia titles.

I think purple-haired Faris is the only way to go. Tongue I hadn't thought of Ghido, but now that you've mentioned him, he's an awesome choice.
For the FF7 section: Yes, exactly. And I think Minwu sticks out because all the other characters lack personality, whereas he actually has one and sticks around for a big chunk of the story.

Can't wait to see what you do next!
(07-30-2020, 07:20 AM)Ton Wrote: [ -> ]I think purple-haired Faris is the only way to go. Tongue I hadn't thought of Ghido, but now that you've mentioned him, he's an awesome choice.
For the FF7 section: Yes, exactly. And I think Minwu sticks out because all the other characters lack personality, whereas he actually has one and sticks around for a big chunk of the story.

Can't wait to see what you do next!

I agree with you 100% on purple haired Faris. Ghido's kind of the best, I'm hoping they'll put him into the mobile games at some point. Thanks for clarifying the FFVII custom section. I figured as much, but it never hurts to ask. Yeah, the character writing in FFII wasn't great. Thinking on it, I think Minwu was the one aspect of that game they alluded to the most for a while. I remember him getting a shout-out in Tactics and I think I read somewhere that he's mentioned in either the Japanese version of FFIV or in some of the supplementary material.

I'm happy to hear you look forward to my work! If you ever want a sneak peek of what I might work on next feel free to check out my website which is linked on my submitter profile. I have a lot of my old unfinished stuff showcased there. What I've been doing is alternating between finishing one of my old spritesheets and making the new custom Final Fantasy characters.