The VG Resource

Full Version: Egg Blimp (Genesis)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I decided to make an Eggman Vehicle in my spare time, and this one's sticking to the air!  Enter the Egg Blimp, Eggman's equivalent to Robotnik's Blimpnik from AOSTH.  This has no weapons on it whatsoever, as this is meant to be strictly a getaway craft and/or luxury vehicle.  Usually, this will be defended by Badniks if under attack, due to the fact the blimp has no weapons.  This simple vehicle can only be defeated in a situation similar to Sky Chase Zone and Dusty Hill Zone (I THINK it was Dusty Hill Zone), as this is an aircraft and cannot function on land.  If you want to use this for a mod or a sprite comic, please, go on ahead!  Just credit me and leave a link to your project, that's all.  I'd LOVE to see where this ends up!  Anyway, i'm done rambling.  You can now leave feedback or a comment if you want.
I don't want to sound over-critical, but I guess it's going to come across that way.

There's a tad few things wrong.

To begin with, the shading. You included a light source with the shine, good. But the shine itself and the shading are bad. Interpreting the light as coming in from the upper left as per the positioning of the shine, it seems like it was just then ignored to then flow from the centre of the balloon and the shine - pillow shading*. Darker shades are meant to encroach the further from the light source they are, but medium shades are okay on the top if the light source is coming from the opposite side.

The shine can be vastly reduced in size. If you're aiming for making a game equivalent of the AoStH Blimpnik, perhaps add some details relevant to the game's Robotnik and adding seams to partition parts of the balloon.

*A lot of the time, from what I can tell, this is no bueno, except in certain circumstances.

Second, the gondola. It suffers from the same issues as I mentioned before, and how does Robotnik fit in it? I doubt the good doctor could sit down with crossed legs, and there's no room for him to stretch them out.

Onto Robotnik himself. Where are those sprites sourced from, and what's wrong with the originals? Not that there's anything all that wrong the, but the laugh and pain sprites just feel painful. I have a litany of Robotnik sheets, from Sonic 2 if you're using those, on TSR, and I don't ask for credit.

The palette scheme feels too soft, and on the top row of each section, I cannot tell whether the third or fourth shade is darker. Here's all 512 colors for the Genesis. General rule is, the darker the shade on the largest table, the different the colors as they adjust towards the lightest color on subsequent tables. Mix and match.

Finally, the Eggman icon. I cannot actually look at it, it scares me, like it's a demon taking on Robotnik's visage. Have you considered looking into the Sonic Advance or Mania sprites for the icon? There's a good one on the General Objects sheet for Mania.
(05-15-2020, 10:21 AM)The Observer Wrote: [ -> ]I don't want to sound over-critical, but I guess it's going to come across that way.

There's a tad few things wrong.

To begin with, the shading. You included a light source with the shine, good. But the shine itself and the shading are bad. Interpreting the light as coming in from the upper left as per the positioning of the shine, it seems like it was just then ignored to then flow from the centre of the balloon and the shine - pillow shading*. Darker shades are meant to encroach the further from the light source they are, but medium shades are okay on the top if the light source is coming from the opposite side.

The shine can be vastly reduced in size. If you're aiming for making a game equivalent of the AoStH Blimpnik, perhaps add some details relevant to the game's Robotnik and adding seams to partition parts of the balloon.

*A lot of the time, from what I can tell, this is no bueno, except in certain circumstances.

Second, the gondola. It suffers from the same issues as I mentioned before, and how does Robotnik fit in it? I doubt the good doctor could sit down with crossed legs, and there's no room for him to stretch them out.

Onto Robotnik himself. Where are those sprites sourced from, and what's wrong with the originals? Not that there's anything all that wrong the, but the laugh and pain sprites just feel painful. I have a litany of Robotnik sheets, from Sonic 2 if you're using those, on TSR, and I don't ask for credit.

The palette scheme feels too soft, and on the top row of each section, I cannot tell whether the third or fourth shade is darker. Here's all 512 colors for the Genesis. General rule is, the darker the shade on the largest table, the different the colors as they adjust towards the lightest color on subsequent tables. Mix and match.

Finally, the Eggman icon. I cannot actually look at it, it scares me, like it's a demon taking on Robotnik's visage. Have you considered looking into the Sonic Advance or Mania sprites for the icon? There's a good one on the General Objects sheet for Mania.
Right, right.  I understand completely.  Sorry about those few points.  I'm not TOO good at spritage, and i always try to improve on my work.  But, as it turns out from the other things i've done, there is no way to truly improve what i'm doing.  I was very determined to fix these things, but not even my Determination can go on forever.  I guess its just best that i hang up the towel here.
Don't give up just because you have shortcomings. Try fixing what I pointed out.

I'm so far from the most perfect spriter, but I'm still trying. It's all about practice, after all, and even after 15 years at it I'm still limited in what I can achieve. But I've not given up, neither should you.