The VG Resource

Full Version: Xenogears Battle Sprites
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
IT's HERE! All battle sprites is ripped and reassembled by using a script.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/dne82a6blp...12.7z/file
(FILE INFO : it has 15,917 PNGs)

While I do found the animation data section, but that place was infested with pointers and hidden pointers. Couldn't really understand what is going on with those data. So animation data is NOT ripped.

I know some enemies has alternate palette(s?), so I included the palette image with the sprites.

The files also has 3D models mixed in. But since I have no knowledge of 3D models, I only ripped the textures and put them into another folder.

It would be a great help if anyone can organize all the images as spritesheets (with correct names) and upload them to the site.

Cheers,
- Rufas

P.S. You can also check out my releases on SaGa Frontier 2 thread and Legend of Mana thread.

UPDATE 2020/10/25 - with overworld sprites

http://www.mediafire.com/file/co7wmmqrnx...09.7z/file
(FILE INFO : it has 24,917 PNGs)
Wonderful work! You never fail to amaze! Smile

(I know next to nothing about the game, though, so I don't know how much help I could be)
(05-03-2020, 01:24 PM)rufaswan Wrote: [ -> ]IT's HERE! All battle sprites is ripped and reassembled by using a script.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/dne82a6blp...12.7z/file
(FILE INFO : it has 15,917 pngs)

While I do found the animation data section, but that place was infested with pointers and hidden pointers. Couldn't really understand what is going on with those data. So animation data is NOT ripped.

I know some enemies has alternate palette(s?), so I included the palette image with the sprites.

The files also has 3D models mixed in. But since I have no knowledge of 3D models, I only ripped the textures and put them into another folder.

It would be a great help if anyone can organize all the images as spritesheets (with correct names) and upload them to the site.

Cheers,
- Rufas

P.S. You can also check out my releases on SaGa Frontier 2 thread and Legend of Mana thread.

Grabbed a random monster and put it in Sheet Maker. Is there are a reason why the boxes for each frame have a different size?
[Image: VZCSs76.png]
I have also never played the game, so I broke it down to 12 animation rows just by looking at it (could be wrong, though):

00-Jump Frames (Different Directions)
01-Moving
02-Stance
03-Hit (Tail Down)
04-Defeated
05-Hit (Tail Up)
06-Howling
07-Dodge
08-Tail Slap
09-Jump Attack
10-Biting
11-Dust Attack
12-Backflip

This was just a test, I'm not going to submit this. First because of the grid boxes, second because I have never played the game and therefore have no idea about the movesets.
By the way, great work as usual Thumbs Up
(05-03-2020, 06:19 PM)Barack Obama Wrote: [ -> ]Grabbed a random monster and put it in Sheet Maker. Is there are a reason why the boxes for each frame have a different size?
[Image: LKC6JE0.png]
I have also never played the game, so I broke it down to 12 animation rows just by looking at it (could be wrong, though):

00-Jump Frames (Different Directions)
01-Moving
02-Stance
03-Hit (Tail Down)
04-Defeated
05-Hit (Tail Up)
06-Howling
07-Dodge
08-Tail Slap
09-Jump Attack
10-Biting
11-Dust Attack
12-Backflip

This was just a test, I'm not going to submit this. First because of the grid boxes, second because I have never played the game and therefore have no idea about the movesets.
By the way, great work as usual Thumbs Up

That sheet looks good enough.
I wont care about the different grid sizes since you need to accommodate them in Photoshop, not a big deal...
PD : You are missing an awesome RPG by the way Wink
Wow! This is huge news. Excellent job!
Quote:Grabbed a random monster and put it in Sheet Maker. Is there are a reason why the boxes for each frame have a different size?

I don't have the sprite width and height before creating the canvas, so I set it to something really high, like 768x768. Then I trimmed off the excessive space around the sprite.

Regardless what is the frame size, the center of the frame is the center point 0,0 . If you align every frame to this point, you can animate them correctly.

Is there any gravity option in Sheet Maker to center them? montage (from ImageMagick) have "-gravity center" option to center the frame.

If the space is bothering you, you can use mogrify -trim to (blindly) remove them.

http://www.imagemagick.org/Usage/montage/#controls
http://www.imagemagick.org/script/comman...s.php#trim

Here are the commands and the result

Code:
# blindly remove empty borders from the image (like "Autocrop Image" on GIMP)
mogrify -trim +repage -strip 0*.png

# tiled all images into 8-columns and save it as "sheet.png"
montage -geometry '1x1<' -background none -tile 8x -gravity center -strip  0*.png  sheet.png

[Image: dJwx0SZ.png]

As you can tell, the sprites is no longer aligned. They are not at the same floor level anymore.

But this would be what I'll do when making a spritesheet. You guys can do a better job than me.

Take care,
- Rufas
(05-04-2020, 05:09 PM)rufaswan Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:Grabbed a random monster and put it in Sheet Maker. Is there are a reason why the boxes for each frame have a different size?

I don't have the sprite width and height before creating the canvas, so I set it to something really high, like 768x768. Then I trimmed off the excessive space around the sprite.

Regardless what is the frame size, the center of the frame is the center point 0,0 . If you align every frame to this point, you can animate them correctly.

Is there any gravity option in Sheet Maker to center them? montage (from ImageMagick) have "-gravity center" option to center the frame.

If the space is bothering you, you can use mogrify -trim to (blindly) remove them.

http://www.imagemagick.org/Usage/montage/#controls
http://www.imagemagick.org/script/comman...s.php#trim

Here are the commands and the result

Code:
# blindly remove empty borders from the image (like "Autocrop Image" on GIMP)
mogrify -trim +repage -strip 0*.png

# tiled all images into 8-columns and save it as "sheet.png"
montage -geometry '1x1<' -background none -tile 8x -gravity center -strip  0*.png  sheet.png

[Image: dJwx0SZ.png]

As you can tell, the sprites is no longer aligned. They are not at the same floor level anymore.

But this would be what I'll do when making a spritesheet. You guys can do a better job than me.

Take care,
- Rufas

No worries about the grid size brother... that guy Barack Obama loves to complain about minor details, who he think he is? lol

This can be easily fixed with Photoshop when making the spritesheet.

In one of these days i will begin to upload the sprites on here.

Cheers.
You're right, Sheet Maker has a center option. Therefore I edited the wolf sheet in my post above, but I'm pretty sure I'll change my approach the more I work with a game and its contents.

Took one more:
https://i.imgur.com/AAUNurY.png

1-Stance/Idle
2-Idle Break
3-Moving/Running
4-Jump Frames
5-Other Poses (probably defending/dodge/etc.)
6-Hit
7-Hard Hit & Going Down
8-Getting up
9-Jump & Spear Attack + Projectile
10-Spear Stab
11-Spear Throw + Projectile
12-frame 96 is a identical to frame 69 (frame 5 of animation 9), except that the alignment is slightly different

If I compare it to the wolf and the goblin, one enemy consists of
Idle/Running
Hit/Going Down/Getting Up
Defending/Dodge
Single Jump Frames (3 directions)
At least 3 attacks
One or two other animations
Maybe some garbage frames which don't belong to an animation

It's more doable than Legend of Mana with its quadrillion frames, plus the moveset of each enemy seem to be very similar.

This is a game that I would like to analyze ingame and then arrange the sheets accordingly. Even with my current ripping skills, I'm always trying to find out new ways on how to rip things most efficiently and usable. I guess this is what it makes fun for me.

At the moment, I'm still doing Secret of Mana as my 2nd ripping project and would like to go for tilesets/spells, maybe some bosses like Death Machine (JPN). But after that, I would give Xenogears a try and submit the sheets in your and my name.
That's great. I love seeing progress. And you took that insult Mortifier gave you in stride... more like ignored, but I digress. XD
That takes a level of maturity.
(05-05-2020, 06:54 PM)SmithyGCN Wrote: [ -> ]That's great. I love seeing progress. And you took that insult Mortifier gave you in stride... more like ignored, but I digress. XD
That takes a level of maturity.

Okay, okay. Calm down. XD
Might I ask how you did this and would the technique work on Star Ocean 2?
(05-06-2020, 06:43 AM)Deathbringer Wrote: [ -> ]Might I ask how you did this and would the technique work on Star Ocean 2?

(05-06-2020, 06:43 AM)Deathbringer Wrote: [ -> ]Might I ask how you did this and would the technique work on Star Ocean 2?

The idea is just like how you would do it manually.

To reassemble a sprite, using Photoshop:
1) Create a blank canvas.
2) Open the spritesheet with parts.
3) Select "Rectangle Select" tool and hightlight a part. Right click -> Copy.
4) Paste the part onto the blank canvas at the right position.

The script is actually doing the same thing:
1) canvas = new image;
2) source = image.open(filename.png);
3) part = source.copy(sx, sy, w, h);
4) canvas.draw(part, dx, dy)

Right off the bat you'll have six numbers to look for: sx, sy, w, h, dx and dy. So you just look around the data files for the numbers.

Repeat step 3 and 4 until the whole sprite is complete.

To reassemble a sprite, you'll draw the parts _ON TOP_ each other.
To reassemble a map, you'll draw the parts _NEXT TO_ each other.

Beside the six numbers, you'll also encounter other stuff. Like a flag byte for vertical/horizontal flipping, a byte on rotation, palette ID, sheet ID, alpha blending byte, pointers, etc... You can experiment with them later on and figure out what do each byte do.

Then you just write a script to automate the whole thing. I included a copy of the script inside the archive, and uploaded the whole thing here:
https://github.com/rufaswan/Web2D_Games/...s/psxtools

In the end, a game is just a program. You can treat Game.exe as just a DataFileReader.exe, because the assemble instructions are inside DataFile.bin. You just need to find it.

The truth is out there. Somewhere.

Cheers,
- Rufas
Pages: 1 2