The VG Resource

Full Version: Tinke and replacing and unusual texture format
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Right to the chase, I want to do a minor texture hack on Phantom Hourglass and didn't know much at all about the DS's common file formats and the apps to work with them.

I got a program called Tinke, jumped in without really learning how to use it, and located the texture in the ROM that I want to edit. When I save the image for to edit it, the resulting .bmp is just a blank blueish-white. I figure that's because the image is in format 6, A5I3, which I'm assuming means 5 bits for the alpha value and 3 bits for the intensity of each pixel. That wouldn't really translate well to a .bmp.

So my questions are:
1. Does anyone know of an effective way to work with these images? Hex editing may be fine, because in this case I just want to "black out" the image.
2. Is there anything I need to know about recompiling the ROM with the edits, such as proper signatures or checksums, and can Tinke take care of that?

[ETA]
I tried a simple hex edit and the image looked fine. Saved the ROM and tested in DeSmuME and it hangs on the white screen.