The VG Resource

Full Version: (Wii) Missing certain textures when converting .brres model to .obj
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm trying to rip a model from a Wii game and convert it to the Wavefront .OBJ/.MTL format.  When I ripped the game's .brres and texture files and opened them in BrawlBox, they appeared fine.  However, exporting them to .dae and opening them in Blender (or opening the .brres in BRRES Viewer) will result in some textures being broken/missing.  In particular, the wall is missing it's wooden beam textures and appears to be more-or-less white all around, and the floor is noticeably brighter than it should be.

The issue seems to stem from the fact that BRRES Viewer can only read one UV texture map at a time, whereas Brawlbox can read and apply multiple (this is why some textures, like the books, appear completely fine).  Perhaps this sort of behavior just isn't supported by .obj, perhaps it's an issue with BrawlBox, I'm not sure.

Below is an image that shows the problem:

[Image: real_UV_mapping_hours.png]

Game Name: Doraemon Wii - Himitsu Douguou Ketteisen (ドラえもん Wii: ひみつ道具王決定戦); Japan-only release
Model Location: /stg/mini/001/0000.brres (I should note that I only extracted the /stg/ and /mini/ folders located on Partition 1; this doesn't seem to be a factor in this particular issue but I felt it was worth mentioning just in case)
Ripping Tools I'm Using: BRRES Viewer v1.3.1; BrawlBox 0.78 (Hotfix 1), Blender 2.80
OBJ only supports 1 UV layer. It's best to extract models out of brawlbox as DAE files.

Also, some meshes will probably use material coloring which is rendered in brawlbox compared to brres viewer.