The VG Resource

Full Version: Just how the hell long does it take to get something approved on here...?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I submitted a couple of sheets on TSR around....I'd say middle of June. Let's say maybe around the 20th. Nothing huge, but useful I guess. Some interface shit from Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition.

It's September 22 as of today. That's three months and 13 days. And it's still pending.

Meanwhile, I've seen sheets from mobile games featuring content from updates no longer than a week old featured up on the front page.

What the hell. I'm not trying to bitch, but I am asking what the hell.
The website gets a bit flooded with stuff and they're understaffed. But at the weekend I had some sheets from about April/May reviewed, so maybe in a month or so your submissions will be on the way. It sucks, but it is what it is.

I "thanked" your post because I like your wording.

Edit (since I've thought of some stuff, reading this again): Sheets for already-existing games might be approved more quickly since they don't need to check the game actually exists or anything, and some games of particular interest seem to get prioritised.
Did you include icons for your submission? I know they're optional so I'd imagine if a submission doesn't include one it's relegated to the "Whenever we care" bin. I've never had an issue with any of my submissions pending for long, they're usually up within hours.
You did not include icons. The submission queue is sorted by two criteria - first by icons vs. no icons and second by date submitted, ascending.

There's also a thread that goes into much more detail regarding why submissions take so long to process and it's sticked at the top of this very forum: https://www.vg-resource.com/thread-26810.html
Ah, yup. I did done goofed with the icons - slipped my mind. I went ahead and just uploaded them, though to be fair, putting all the assets together for the icons took about...eh, 15 or so minutes.

And before that, I DID upload the game icon but one of the mods deleted it since I uploaded it twice by accident. Which means they've *known* about my submissions for quite some time. And again, considering the effort and time it took to make the icons, my "What the hell." very much still stands, if it hasn't already been upgraded to a "Seriously?"
(09-23-2019, 01:19 AM)-Q- Wrote: [ -> ]Ah, yup. I did done goofed with the icons - slipped my mind. I went ahead and just uploaded them, though to be fair, putting all the assets together for the icons took about...eh, 15 or so minutes.

And before that, I DID upload the game icon but one of the mods deleted it since I uploaded it twice by accident. Which means they've *known* about my submissions for quite some time. And again, considering the effort and time it took to make the icons, my "What the hell." very much still stands, if it hasn't already been upgraded to a "Seriously?"

Seriously? There are well over 300 pending submissions. Even ignoring the time it takes to fully review them, you said yourself that it took 15 minutes to prepare and upload the icons. That’s an average of almost 4 minutes per icon across just your 4 submissions. With that average time, it would take the staff over 20 hours just to add missing icons if every submission didn’t include them. And again, that’s ignoring the rest of the review process.

Icons are optional to make the process of submitting easier for those who can’t (or who, for whatever reason, do not want to) make them. You pay for that convenience by your submissions being de-prioritized as they now require more than the average effort to process for our already small and, need I remind you, volunteer staff.
I've had a thought, Petie. My judgment is too poor to be an actual staff member and I'd rather not take on the responsibilities that go with it, but is it possible to contribute icons for other people's Spriters Resource submissions that don't include icons? I could maybe speed things up a little.
Since we don't publicly show pending submissions, there really isn't a way to set this up easily. Thanks though.
Four icons. Four. Four minutes per icon. And yet, three and a half months.

Even with a lot of submissions, that's an extremely off time-table. Lol, hell, here's an idea: Let people know if they have an icon missing! If you look at my past submissions, you'd know that this was an honest goof on my part. A mistake that could have been rectified, if nothing else, by sending an automated PM notifying me. Just like how I received an automated PM me notifying me that I submitted a game icon twice accidentally.

You guys have a half dozen different automated PM's for different situations. Make one if an icon is missing for more than 24 hours! For newbies, link them to the thread explaining the icon situation. For idiots like me, let us know we slipped! The faster a mistake is pointed out, the faster it's fixed and the faster you'll have something to work with.

I don't think that's a terrible idea.
I am waiting for a sprite since 1 week ago, I want to know if it was not approved.

I really want to know if there was an automated PM notifying me that was Unapproved...
(09-23-2019, 01:11 PM)-Q- Wrote: [ -> ]Four icons. Four. Four minutes per icon. And yet, three and a half months.

Even with a lot of submissions, that's an extremely off time-table. Lol, hell, here's an idea: Let people know if they have an icon missing! If you look at my past submissions, you'd know that this was an honest goof on my part. A mistake that could have been rectified, if nothing else, by sending an automated PM notifying me. Just like how I received an automated PM me notifying me that I submitted a game icon twice accidentally.

You guys have a half dozen different automated PM's for different situations. Make one if an icon is missing for more than 24 hours! For newbies, link them to the thread explaining the icon situation. For idiots like me, let us know we slipped! The faster a mistake is pointed out, the faster it's fixed and the faster you'll have something to work with.

You really don't seem to get it. You claim that your submissions should have been accepted sooner because making the icons didn't take very long. I told you that if everyone thought like that, there would be 20+ hours of work to add icons for just the submissions currently in the queue. Your submissions weren't looked at because they didn't have icons and were therefore sorted to the bottom. It's not the staff's job to baby you - you can always review your own pending submissions which would have shown you, at any time in those three and a half months, the big "NO ICON" image and taken care of it yourself during that time.

And for reference, the PM you received for the duplicate submission was not automated. It required a staff member to see the duplicate and reject it which triggered the PM.

(09-23-2019, 02:46 PM)Mighty No. 2 Wrote: [ -> ]I am waiting for a sprite since 1 week ago, I want to know if it was not approved.

I really want to know if there was an automated PM notifying me that was Unapproved...

Your oldest submission is from the 21st - two days ago, not a week. Read the thread I linked further up in this thread if you want to know why things take as long as they do. And as has been pointed out, you can always see your own list of pending submissions from the link in the user box at the top of the site.
Edit: Bah, beaten by Petie. I'll leave this up for reference, but it can be ignored since it's a bit of a double whammy at this point.

(09-23-2019, 01:11 PM)-Q- Wrote: [ -> ]Four icons. Four. Four minutes per icon. And yet, three and a half months.

(the rest is quoted above)

Ugh. Let's say these four icons take 15 minutes in total to sort out, as you said earlier. I think it would be possible to do them more quickly than this, but the exact amount of time doesn't matter, and of course no-one can keep going without a break anyway. If it takes 15 minutes to sort your icons out, then another 15 minutes for someone else's, and so on and so forth, you are very quickly looking at hours of time for this alone.

Over the course of months, that shouldn't be too bad, but this is the way the prioritisation system seems to work, with sheets that have icons being reviewed first. On top of the other duties, with the rate at which new sheets get added (see the updates on the homepage - the frequency and sheet count), I can appreciate the amount of time it sucks up. I often manage to spend an entire day faffing about with trivialities!

While there is no system in place that sends a message out if an icon is missing, it does show up in the pending submissions list as "NO ICON", so if you check these things it's quite easy to spot.

You've been waiting months for your submission to be accepted yet never took the minute to click on the Pending Submissions button and notice they were missing icons? More so you made a thread to piss about it also before checking. Either stop being lazy and make the icons yourself or stop complaining that other people aren't doing your work fast enough in your stead.
Wow. Baby me. Ok. You're confused. This is for you. The contributions that people make on here - that we make on here - we get nothing out of it. Not even credit or recognition. Now, some request it, but I personally think it's arrogant as hell to lay claim to someone else's work. Even I was not above this and I used to tag my submissions with a silly little picture (really wish I could edit these out now).

It's literally out of the goodness out of our hearts. There are about a million and one things we could be doing, and we choose to bolster your database of pretty little pictures. Now, if this is somehow someone's livelihood or....career, I apologize for being disingenuous. And also, I'd really like to know how you make a monetary living off of this.

So for you to claim that requesting the process be more user-friendly and streamlined is the equivalent to babying us, there's a term that exists for that: Go fuck yourself. Most human beings don't look at their pending submissions page because: 1) They're pending. Waiting in line. Idle. Nothing happening. 2) No new information is displayed regarding the status of the submission on the pending page. Because that function is precisely reserved for PM'sUnimpressed I say "Let's include a wee bit more information and notifications regarding pending submissions" you say "We're not here to baby you."

You can choose to accept or not accept via obtuse reasoning. That's on you. And I can just as easily choose to submit my shit elsewhere from now on.

And now that I have thoroughly gotten my ass banned, I will bid you adieu. I want to say it's been fun, but it hasn't. When I tried to make discussion, ya'll were rude as fuck. When I made a request once or twice, ya'll were useless. And when I made a simple suggestion, welp, I guess I want to be babied.
[Image: thinking-face_1f914.png]

The submitter(s) gets listed for each submission on the website. I feel you already know this though. Maybe thanking individuals with significant contributions in the news posts would be nice if this is what you're getting at.

Personally, I check the pending submissions page to make sure everything is in order. It seems rational to have a quick look for any obvious issues.

Anyway, this is more between you and the staff now. Not sure if I should be sticking my nose in at this point. Maybe a better term than "babying" could have been found (though it is an accurate one), but this is a thread that started out with "what the hell", so I don't think we were on a very good track to begin with.

I hope I'm not included in the people who have been rude. I'm writing with quite a neutral tone here, but at the end of the day it's just text and you could interpret it with any tone you like.
Pages: 1 2