The VG Resource

Full Version: Unused Battletoads Arcade Sprites
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I didn't know where else to post this thread, I apologize if this is the wrong place,
I also apologize if I used too many images,
With that said, remember Admiral Oink? The character that had a portrait in Stage 5's Background? Well, turns out
he's actually in the game unused! Sadly his palette doesn't seem to exist.

[attachment=9335]

And that's not all, Princess Angelica is in the game too, much like Admiral Oink, Princess Angelica doesn't seem to have palette data.
[attachment=9336]

And there is an unused stage that the codes calls Stage 2-B (Unused) which contains a bunch of garbled up
tiles and an unused Santa Claus is here too, albeit with the wrong palette.
[attachment=9337]

Rash has an unused stance, which is more like Zitz's, I don't think I found all the frames though,
[attachment=9338]

Rash also has an unused flexing animation, which i assume was used before they made the pelvic thrust animation,
[attachment=9339]

Professor T. Bird also has unused sprites, also without a palette.
[attachment=9340]

Zitz has sprites for getting hit by honey and then proceeding to eat said honey,
[attachment=9341]

Edit: Actually, thats Pimple getting hit by honey, not Zitz... I just screwed up and used the wrong palette... Lol!

I found more but I didn't want to add too many images (although I probably did anyway)
For example, there are sprites of scammy with a present, and the 'Toads seem to have get up attack sprites, as well
as Pimple and Zitz having some kind of throwing forwards animation... Or something and Rash having a back handed punch like animation, it also seems that Rash was originally going to have animations similar to Pimple and Zitz, Besides the standing animation above I think I also found regular jumping sprites as well as sprites for jumping in the Karnath boss fight, makes me wonder if he has an unused walking animation, Rash also has some sprites that I've seen in Battlemaniacs, such as two frames from his waiting animation, Pimple also has unused sprites of his punching attack from Battlemaniacs.

I would have ripped the sprites, but for some reason my MAME wont render the game at the right aspect ratio.

Bonus info: Rash has his red arm bands sprited on, for some reason the devs changed the red color green on his palette to hide them, which is why Rash has a green tongue, you can see the armbands if you put Pimple or Zitz's palettes on Rash with the cheat codes.

For anyone that was wondering, I was using MAME cheat codes made by N, you can get them here: http://mugenguild.com/forum/PHPSESSID.33...387.0.html

Edit:
I also found an unused music track, go into the service menu with F2 and then go into the sound test and then use the play sound cheat code's 4th entry, it will play an unused theme.
I knew it! Admiral Oink was one of the things that had me pondering when I played it. Does he have a full set of sprites or just that single one?
And BTW, we do have a Battletoads ripping project going. [LINK] This debug thing could be our ticket to finally rip this game.
(02-27-2019, 10:19 PM)Dolphman Wrote: [ -> ]I knew it! Admiral Oink was one of the things that had me pondering when I played it. Does he have a full set of sprites or just that single one?
And BTW, we do have a Battletoads ripping project going. [LINK] This debug thing could be our ticket to finally rip this game.

Yes! He does, he has a stance, pulling/putting a toad into his bag, throwing bombs out of his bag, getting hurt, and there are scammys that have presents that I believe may be related to his boss fight. As for the Battletoads ripping project, that makes me REALLY happy, I love these sprites. I'd help rip stuff if I could but like I said, my MAME sucks with this game... And sadly my pc isn't too friendly with newer MAMES...
[attachment=9342]
Also, here is Rash's armbands, ALL of his sprites have them, except for the ending images.
[attachment=9343]

Forgot to mention, Admiral Oink's bomb actually has a palette, I bet he does too now that I think about it.
[attachment=9344]

I also found sprites of the 'Toads riding rockets like surfboards, they have correct palettes, but the rockets don't.
The best way to rip sprites from this game is to shrink the screenshots' horizontal ratio at 50% to get the sprites in the correct size.
I know for a fact this will be perfect for the guys at TCRF, as their page for this game is very lacking in discoveries.
(02-28-2019, 12:25 AM)Dolphman Wrote: [ -> ]The best way to rip sprites from this game is to shrink the screenshots' horizontal ratio 50% to get the sprites in the correct size.
I know for a fact this will be perfect for the guys at TCRF, as their page for this game is very lacking in discoveries.

You know, that's a pretty good idea, I'm going to see if I can remove the background and get some of the sprites.
And I know what you mean about the TCRF page, it doesn't have much at all. I'm going to see if I can upload the unused music track and some sprites to TCRF.

EDIT:
Well... I just found a tweet by Rare, lets just say I know Admiral Oink's palette looks like now.
https://twitter.com/RareLtd/status/629321074501648385
These are some really interesting discoveries! It makes me wonder what else could be hiding around in the game's data that still hasn't been discovered yet...
This all really interesting stuff! There is so much we still don't know about Battletoads games, so it's great to see somebody digging around for stuff like this!
I made a mock up of what Rash's beta stance could have looked like:
[attachment=9345]
(The first frame is custom.)
(Note, this is using Zitz's palette.)

Also, I'm thinking about making a sprite sheet for Admiral Oink with the sprites i have found, Because I can apply the palette from the tweet Rare made, since his colors weren't messed up like a jpeg.

Edit: The Admiral approaches... If he gets approved.

Edit 2: Admiral Oink has been approved!
https://www.spriters-resource.com/arcade...et/114566/
Wow, I just saw an update on the TCRF article and I was surprised that someone found the way to explore the data of this game. : )

Any chance at finding anything related to the cut Brain Chase level?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CO5Wq0rXAAAJQVb.jpg
This is in the wrong place - but it seems to be a pretty active topic, so...I'll just move it into its new home in TSR -> Feedback/Showreel and leave a redirect for a few days.
(02-28-2019, 09:34 PM)Kosheh Wrote: [ -> ]This is in the wrong place - but it seems to be a pretty active topic, so...I'll just move it into its new home in TSR -> Feedback/Showreel and leave a redirect for a few days.

Sorry about that, and thanks for moving this to the correct place.

(02-28-2019, 02:31 PM)Sledge Wrote: [ -> ]Wow, I just saw an update on the TCRF article and I was surprised that someone found the way to explore the data of this game. : )

Any chance at finding anything related to the cut Brain Chase level?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CO5Wq0rXAAAJQVb.jpg

I haven't found this with the cheat code, but thanks for showing me this image, I had no idea this existed, Also Rash's armbands are red in that screenshot, cool, I'm thinking about messing with the cheat code made by N. to see if I can find that Brain Chase level. I'm not very good at editing cheats though, so we'll see the outcome of that, lol!

Edit: Actually, could this thing I thought was an asteroid be that Brain? Because it has ALOT of frames and has a 3d look.

[attachment=9346]
This is really great indeed! All sheets of this game on the site need to be reripped, as they all have wrong palettes, missing frames or even wrong sprites.
(02-28-2019, 10:49 PM)Magma Dragoon Wrote: [ -> ]This is really great indeed! All sheets of this game on the site need to be reripped, as they all have wrong palettes, missing frames or even wrong sprites.

N.'s cheat codes should make re-ripping the game a lot easier, I know I found them to be quite useful for ripping Admiral Oink.

EDIT!:
I found it... Brain Chase is still here... Well, whats left of it anyway.
[attachment=9347]

In the level you just keep falling into the abyss, that's it, but still, epic! Sadly it just plays the Stage 1 track, but I bet that unused track I found is related to this stage.

I'm going to mess with the level and see what I can find.

Edit 2: Okay, so messing around with movement, turns out you're actually standing in the stage, you can walk, run and jump, however when you attack for some reason it instantly does the run attack, I also noticed that while running a water splash effect plays below the 'Toads feet.

Edit 3: Yep! I think That thing is the brain! Because I just found its palette in the brain chase level.
[attachment=9348]
Yup! That's definitely Brain Chase. According to the tweet, the splash effect is intended when the Toads are stepping on flesh walls. From the screenshot, looks like the brain seen from the side, yet it's hard to tell if it was meant to float in the air or rolling like in that other game (Judging from the level layout, it's probably based on Stage 5 from Battletoads on Gameboy, except this time around there were scaling effects planned).
Something tells me that organic level was supposed to be Karnath's level. I also wonder how that 3D effect worked because that's very unique looking.
Quote:All sheets of this game on the site need to be reripped, as they all have wrong palettes, missing frames or even wrong sprites.
That's because some of them were ripped from the Battletoads fangame made with Beats of Rage. (Blag is a big example of this because he actually wears purple in the original)
Pages: 1 2