The VG Resource

Full Version: Just started pixeling. Looking to rotate
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I saw someone post of a handmade spinning sprite gif that was 18 frames. It looked amazing and inspired me to take a crack at pixel art. Tried to google for tutorials but when I typed how to draw a spinning sprite I kept getting results for programming. I took some advice from one video and drew a basic sprite with colored limbs. Unfortunately the video was just basic tutorial on the steps on how to draw a sprite and it didn't really give me an idea on how to show a sprite from multiple rotation points. I attempted this as practice and the only real thing that I kept in mind was that the height remained the constant.

[attachment=9310]

It needs a lot of work Smile

The legs look the most correct to me but the arms seem to go up and down

I think the thing I need help with the most is how wide limbs should be at various angles I think the side view should be the narrowest torso but other then that I am completely clueless. Is there some type of math or basic rules for these kinds of things?

my sprite sheet
[attachment=9309]
While I wouldn't say I'm really a professional at this type of stuff, even with 2 years of experience, I think this is a good start so far. My only problem right now is that the legs look spaced out a bit too much on the diagonal sprites, I'm not really one to judge. There's this one Youtube channel out there called MortMort that does a ton of different sprite/pixel art tutorials and I think he has a video which covers top-down character animation. I recommend you go check out that video, along with some of his other videos if you can.
(02-19-2019, 12:39 PM)WizToad Wrote: [ -> ]While I wouldn't say I'm really a professional at this type of stuff, even with 2 years of experience, I think this is a good start so far. My only problem right now is that the legs look spaced out a bit too much on the diagonal sprites, I'm not really one to judge. There's this one Youtube channel out there called MortMort that does a ton of different sprite/pixel art tutorials and I think he has a video which covers top-down character animation. I recommend you go check out that video, along with some of his other videos if you can.
Thanks I watched a bunch of his videos after I read your reply. I'm using Photoshop and their videos taught me some useful tips like setting the eraser in pencil mode. My old method of deleting was rectangle marquee tool + delete Cute

I Also learned about the "new window" to preview work while your zoomed in. Is there a way to preview an animated sprite gif while you're working on it?
I feel like that would be incredibly useful if I was able to do that.

Edit: Small update, adjusted legs on diagonal poses, and modified arms and head

[attachment=9316]