The VG Resource

Full Version: Sonic CD Zone Sprites?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello everyone. If any of you've been scrolling through the Genesis/CD/32X section recently, you might know that I do a lot of rips for Genesis games, and I've recently started doing Sonic CD rips ever since I got my hands on a playable ROM of the game on the Sega CD. I've noticed that the zone tileset section isn't quite fully finished, especially because of a lack of Wacky Workbench sprites, and I wish to try and rip the remaining sprites myself. Problem is, I have no idea where to actually start. I've tried searching for a a dissasembly of the game online but I haven't been able to find what I was looking for. I should be able to rip the zone objects in the meantime, but as of now, I'm at a roadblock. I'm not sure if someone has already made a thread similar to this one, but if someone knows any way I would be able to get my hands on the zone sprites/chunks, I'd very much appreciate it.
-WizToad
(01-19-2019, 06:49 PM)WizToad Wrote: [ -> ]1. I'm not sure if someone has already made a thread similar to this one

2. but if someone knows any way I would be able to get my hands on the zone sprites/chunks, I'd very much appreciate it.

1. Not to steal the thunder or anything, but I kinda already have, even if my main focus at the moment is S3K stuff. Though I've done work on Tidal Tempest's prototype appearances and that was back around September, posted more recently, it still remains that there is work being carried out on it. Hoping to update on Divine Insect's content.

2. I've found doing it manually through capture/screen-grabs and the built-in VDP viewer is the best approach, even if it is long-winded; it ensures quality of content that way.
There's SONED2 which can open Sonic CD levels. I'm sure Sonic Retro has some working dissasemblies available.
Also, a program called the Retro Engine Map Vieiwer that can open Sonic CD 2011's levels as well.
"I've found doing it manually through capture/screen-grabs and the built-in VDP viewer is the best approach, even if it is long-winded; it ensures quality of content that way. "
That would probably work, but now I'm thinking about also using a Savestate viewer to see how much I can get out of that. What do you think?

"There's SONED2 which can open Sonic CD levels. I'm sure Sonic Retro has some working dissasemblies available."
I've already looked there several times, and I haven't really found anything. Closest thing I found was a disassembly for the 2011 version on GitHub, which is not what I'm really looking for at the moment.