The VG Resource

Full Version: Sonic Mania Amy Project
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Its been over a year since Sonic Mania released at this point and something that's bothered me in that time is the lack of a full Amy spritesheet in the style of the game. I decided that I'd try and have a go making it myself. I remembered these forums were a great place for feedback and decided it'd be a pretty good idea to post my progress somewhere to get people's thoughts as I go. The goal is to get a sheet with enough animations to reskin Mighty in game as well as adding some extra animations specific to Amy (Swinging hammer, leap/faceplant, ballon glide, etc) for any future use.

[Image: zehXGtM.png]
The first thing I made sure to do was line her up with the official sprites to get the look down. I went with Sonic 3 style feet due to personal preference and due to Knuckles having it that way already as well as Ray half doing it.

[Image: gbT6bbQ.png]
Here's the Amy sprite alone with her Pico Pico hammer.

[Image: ceZIScj.gif]
walking
[Image: 8wPPNaS.gif]
jogging

I specifically made her lean in less than Sonic typically does do to her having a more relaxed, carefree nature. She only really starts to lean in when running.

Unfinished run animation. I want to do something with her out stretched hand to make it less static, but am unsure of what to do with it. Spines just haven't been animated yet and feet need some cleanup. I'm specifically not doing the typical loop that the other characters do when running. I don't think Amy would really lift her feet up like that so I am instead going with her legs smearing into a direction.
[Image: CqcvtrT.gif]

This is what I've gotten in the first week of starting this, I'd love to hear any critique on how it looks as of right now. I really want to get this sheet right.
I like what I'm seeing so far!

A couple of small bothers, though. The clothing makes Amy look a little front heavy. A pixel off the top of the shirt might fix it. Her face/head position makes her look a tad too meek as well, as if she's fearful about everything in front of her. The latest episode of Mania Adventures shows that she's able to keep her head up.

I'ma guess that the running animation is still WIP, as it feels stiff right now.
These are adorable! Honestly, I was kind of sad she wasn't playable in Mania.

For the sprites, I'd suggest making the whites of her eyes one pixel taller. They currently look small and blocky next to everyone else.
Thanks for the feedback. I've made a possible tweak to her design.
[Image: J47aMbf.png]
Left is original, second is tweaked, and the third has her feet moved to the left a pixel. Wasn't sure how I felt about the change to her feet.
I definitely like #3 the most!
I reckon 2 is fine, 3 looks sort of like an animated idle sprite a la the Advance games.
Good start, I'd personally change up her hammer to be Sonic the Fighters accurate rather than its current design, though.
(01-03-2019, 11:43 AM)Grounder Wrote: [ -> ]Good start, I'd personally change up her hammer to be Sonic the Fighters accurate rather than its current design, though.

[Image: Hammer.png] *official

Though it's possible Cloud could make the Fighters hammer as an alternate?
Great suggestion for the hammer. To tell you the truth I couldn't think of a title that she used the Pico Pico Hammer before Sonic Adventure and thus designed it after that. I forgot about Sonic The Fighters and didn't think to look at the just released short either  Unsure Will most likely still include the adventure style one as an alternate style.

New hammer:
[Image: G2Ogx94.png]

Did the simple jump and spindash animations as well.
[Image: uyucbN7.gif]
[Image: 9cRNmOs.gif]
[Image: yvlBZk6.png]
The final image of the spindash is the sort of ghost frame the game layers above everything else (now that I mention it, I think the jump animation does the same thing). Not sure how to recreate that effect in the program I'm using. I will also include alternate jump animations for Amy's typical non ball jump as well as all the usual interactions associated with it.
These look genuinely incredible, I wouldn't blink twice if someone told me these were DLC , excellent work
Hey! Where'd the player go?
[Image: IRdV56h.gif]
Finished the bored animation. Here it is normal size.
[Image: BGQmw3n.gif]

I guess somebody let me know whether people here usually want the artwork blown up or original size for future posts. I will prob start actually organizing everything into a sheet tomorrow.
That idle animation is absolutely adorable. She cares just enough to check, but not enough to make a big show of it!
Stuff is now starting to come together nicely.
[Image: AnzWWJB.gif]
finished run animation.

[Image: CadP1nF.gif]
Look animation.

[Image: MXJmXly.png]
Also started doing hud stuff. Here's the lives counter image. May be a few pixels too wide though...
I decided to continue doing enlarged images for visibility rather than original size.
This is coming along nicely!
I was thinking, if you have a jumping sprite when she's not in a "ball," it might be cute to have her holding her skirt in place (See the 1: 36 mark here for a reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPDc3yVjfNw)

This is so good! She's adorable!
Made some minor changes to the sprint animation making her feet move back more to match the front feet.
[Image: AnzWWJB.gif][Image: esJMPkn.gif]
Before                                     After

Also finished the dash animation.
[Image: Blcu2St.gif]
I made it the super peelout as a reference to her debut in Sonic CD.

And last but not least, her crouch animation variation 1.
[Image: 4fbWaaf.gif]
I plan on making a second variation where she kneels down instead for her leap animation rather than the spindash.

The biggest news this time however, is that I've got the mod page up: Mod Page
Note that this mod version will have altered and limited animations to fit onto Mighty in-game. The full sheet I plan on making will have lots of extra animations specific to Amy Rose for other use.
Pages: 1 2