The VG Resource

Full Version: Project Captain N: Afterburner
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Project Captain N: Afterburner

First of all, yes, I'm rebooting my Project Captain N project.

But what actually is Project Captain N: Afterburner? Well, after several failed attempts at starting off a Captain N project, I thought, why not give it one last shot, one last boost?

Basically this is more like a side project. What I am planning on doing is to sprite anything I would want in my spare time in the same style as Project Captain N. Why would I do that? Well, first and foremost because I hate to have sprites lying around while not using them. Also, when I finally do manage to get a decent amount of sprites, I might be able to do something with them.

So, basically, Afterburner is the last stage in my Project Captain N project. While the rest of the space ship has disintegrated in the Earth's atmosphere, the afterburner will take this spaceship on its final journey trough space: the far unknown. Or probably to Mars.

So, to not stall everything, here's the list that encompasses Project Captain N:

Captain N
Characters
Kevin Keene (Captain N)
Princess Lana

Super Mario Bros.
Background parts
Super Mario Bros. 3 - Construction blocks
Super Mario Bros. 3 - Castle (Test)
Super Mario Bros. 3 - Castle Pillar

WarioWare
Characters
Mona - [Costumes]

Metroid
Characters
Samus Aran

Kid Icarus
Characters
Pit - [Note 1]

Note 1: For Pit, I actually used a small trick for his bow and arrow. Both aren't part of his sprite, but rather, they consist of two "sprites", one being the regular sprite with the color of the sprite, and one being the mask image, which will determine the transparency of both.

Clu Clu Land
Characters
Bubbles - [With pole]
Hey, you're still doing this?
Looks cool still.
Rakia Wrote:Hey, you're still doing this?

I have to. It's the only way my soul would get any rest. When I die, that is.
Lookin' gud.

I like the style, but it seems a bit off from MMZ (that is what you're trying to replicate, right?). Or maybe it's just me.

Now if only I had actually seen a decent episode of Captain N =P.
I only based the sprites off MMZ. In order to comply with a lot of different characters, I had to upsize them. Seeing as for example Kirby or Eevee would be hard to sprite in the original size, it would be nigh impossible.

Also, by taking a lot of liberties, I am able to basically alter Jump-styled sprites into base sprites for me to use for new characters. In fact, I was planning on creating some characters for this project by using Jump-characters as base. For example, Rick Wheeler would work best with Jump as the base.

I'll have to see how that would work out though, but stay tuned.

Oh, and if you could, could you guys try out several different spriting styles, and alter the palette / pastel and size to see if it would be possible to use that style as a base? I already tried with both Yoshi's Island 2 and Mario Party Advance, and the latter really won't work (seeing as Mario is about 155 cm, and by using the size converter I made, found out that it would require too many pixels to add). Yoshi's Island 2 would still work, albeit with some hard alterations. If you find a good looking style that might fit, try it out, and tell me about it, even if it doesn't fit (in which case you say it won't fit).

Please, don't point out obvious styles.
Lol, sweet I can wait to see some more poses for the characters and where's Mega Man? Don't forget that fat, green, hoarse voiced, Megaman.
Lol, wasn't Mona on Warioware?
I decided to drop all third-party characters. They will pop up once in a while, but I do want to keep the focus on the Nintendo characters.

There will be other teams, like a team having only Neo Geo or Konami characters, and Chad Belmont a.k.a. Captain S will probably make a small cameo.

I have also decided the order in which the team gets formed. First comes Kevin, who gets sucked into Videoland with Duke. They meet up with Princess Lana and Pit. Later Samus Aran joins them, followed by Mona. I haven't decided on when to include Bubbles and Rick Wheeler, may it be before or after Krystal, but if it's after Krystal, you wouldn't see them very soon.

Damn, I almost forgot I also have to make the Star Fox cast.
Okay, so a very HUGE necropost bump, but anyway, I'll adjust the topic post for this purpose. I just didn't want to create a second topic for the very same subject.

Anyway, as you all know Project Captain N has been pretty much on the down low, so much even that there aren't even new sprites for it.

Right?

Well, turns out, something sparked my interest, and now I'm back on the project. It won't be a Flash project anymore, at least for now it won't until I have enough sprites to work with. But anyway, here are some sprites to bring back Project Captain N.

Now for a time I've been working on Mona. Basically because I love designing costumes for her. But there was one thing that put me off, and it wasn't just with Mona. Simply put, I had trouble continuing sprites, simply not because it was too hard to make poses like walking and running, but because it took a lot of time editing the base sprites for those purposes. That's why I've only been making costumes for Mona.

However, recently I've finally stumbled upon the ending to WarioWare on the GBA. It wasn't the first time I've seen it, but it did inspire me to create a running animation. It was a simple two-frame animation which I wanted to replicate, only this time with four frames.

So yeah, here's Mona's running animation, replicated from WarioWare, but done in the current style.

[Image: mona_run_p0004.gif]

Also, here's another something I've created in the time being.

[Image: smb3_castle_test00001.png]

The next one I never even planned on doing in the first place, but since a certain forum had custom layouts for forum posts, I decided to just jump the bandwagon, so I came up with the following:

[Image: smb3_castle_test00002.png]

Anyway, right now, the sprites are open to use, no need to ask permission to use them. It would still be nice if you gave me some credit for the work I put in the sprites.