The VG Resource

Full Version: Sprite or texture?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Alright, so I'm in little confusion. Before that, I don't know whether to post in Sprite section or Texture section, so I decided to just post here (pardon me if I'm in wrong section). Anyway, I know the Sprite section is supposed to post game asset images like the character image and 2d sprite characters. Meanwhile, the texture section is supposed for texture sheet based on the 3D model (as what I know). But, beside that, I want to know which is the correct section for game images, like skybox image or VN backgrounds or map image or just plain image from video games belongs?

Thanks.
Hmm, basicly, you need to ask yourself whether the object is considered 3d by the game engine or not. Is it on a model or not. Will the camera move around the object changing the perpectives( which would mean the object is 3d) or does the object change when the camera is moved ( if the camera even moves) , displaying always 1 plane.
Lets take Star Ocean 2 for example

The characters, enemies, hud, and the attack animation are all sprites because they are always displayed flat compared to the camera. The background/skybox, the ground and some of sparkle and hit effects from the attack are texture because they are modified when the camera perpective change.

For the skybox, it really depends if the image is on a models or not. Does it seem curved when the camera moves? Does the perpective of it can be changed when the camera is moved? Is there a 3d lighting effect applied on it? If so that a texture. If it seems to have no curve is simply scrolling when you move, its a sprites.
For visual Novels backgrounds, even if the image represent a 3d scene and is a screenschot of models with texture, its a sprite since its displayed as a sprite.
For the rest, ask yourself the same question as the skybox, is it a models/ can the perpective be changed in some way / can a 3d lighting affect it?
Also, textures often look stretched when you get the original file for them. When they are not on a model, they often look weird Tongue
So, as long the game images are displayed flat on the camera, or at least it was stay put on the screen, it's considered as sprite, eh? And, the same goes for the main menu image, is it?
(08-18-2018, 12:57 PM)ViGamezBoy Wrote: [ -> ]So, as long the game images are displayed flat on the camera, or at least it was stay put on the screen, it's considered as sprite, eh? And, the same goes for the main menu image, is it?

Yup, there are always exception like when a model is 2d. Like for example, Paper Mario. At that point, its at your discretion, are people more likely to search for it in the sprite or in the textures? For paper mario, the whole concept of the game is that everything is paper thus use sprites so they were put as sprites. If the whole world is 3d and the character is holding 2d model map, put it as a texture.
Same for the main menu, as long as there are no models involved, its a sprite.
(08-18-2018, 01:35 PM)daemoth Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-18-2018, 12:57 PM)ViGamezBoy Wrote: [ -> ]So, as long the game images are displayed flat on the camera, or at least it was stay put on the screen, it's considered as sprite, eh? And, the same goes for the main menu image, is it?

Yup, there are always exception like when a model is 2d. Like for example, Paper Mario. At that point, its at your discretion, are people more likely to search for it in the sprite or in the textures? For paper mario, the whole concept of the game is that everything is paper thus use sprites so they were put as sprites. If the whole world is 3d and the character is holding 2d model map, put it as a texture.
Same for the main menu, as long as there are no models involved, its a sprite.

Alright, I think I got it. Thanks for the nice explanation. Smile