The VG Resource

Full Version: Horrible Sprites Coming Through
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[Image: spritesod9.png]

I've been working on these forever and they still suck.

How do I improve?

Constructive criticism would be very helpful.
For one, you use a ton of mspaint default colors. For example, the light blue of the hookshot, and the big eye frog. Never use the colors found in the default mspaint color picker.

edit- They're actually not that bad though. They just need a few improvements here and there.
I know that I'm not supposed to use the default colors, but I don't even have XP, I have Vista, which has a new set of default colors which aren't the regular colors.

But, anyway, the light blue isn't a default color. For most colors, I just took the regular color and then made it darker or lighter with the advanced settings.

Thanks, though.
They not that bad actually. Like ViperShark said, they just need improvements.
(12-30-2008, 12:07 AM)Fierce_Muffin Wrote: [ -> ]For most colors, I just took the regular color and then made it darker or lighter with the advanced settings.

Here's the problem. Too many toa-- ahem. You just made the default color lighter and darker. Instead of doing that, move the cursor in that colorful window to get more interesting colors. It gives you a whole new color to work and the shading will get better Smile
The sprites are good, just the colours are bad.
What everyone else said but that Link is just kinda..bleh, why's he so short and wide? (and bright green)(and small?)

Also, I suggest you also post an image with just the stuff you made. Theres so much theres its confusing to tell what you actually made.
That's a good idea.

[Image: justmyspritesrc2.png]

Still horribly organized.

Also, yeah, I know. I was going to say something like "Ignore the horrible Link sprite." But, anyway, yeah, I might just need some help on how to sprite characters, Link being the most important.

You can probably tell, I took a try at making a Zelda game, I did some sprites and a partner did some sprites and used Game Maker. But as with almost all fan games, nothing came of it. Probably still could go somewhere if I started making good sprites.
Well to say the least, you at least have some passion for the project, as told by how much you're working on these sprites. They may not be the best, but the sheer volume of what you've done is at least, to some degree, impressive.

Once you work on your colours, you might be able to get somewhere.
Yeah, I have been on these for a while. A while is possibly more than a year. We started by me editing the Ocarina of Time Links in A Link to the Past style that's on Spriter's Resource to look like Young Link as well as color them blue and red for the different tunics, but that ended when he said they didn't animate right. kmfslmgdfkl And I had edited all of them, too. :­( What wasted time.

And a lot of other stuff in between that doesn't matter.

But, anyway, I need more than criticism than just the colors. What else can I improve upon?
For the link, might I suggest a different, larger style?
I took the link 3D "rip" you have in the first image and scaled it down and then recolored it to its basic parts.
[Image: Linkuncolored.png] [Image: Linkbase.png]
You could take that, color and shade it, and then add more poses if you want, for a more authentic OOT look.

Or if not, I have some OOT style lttp link revamps somewhere in my photobucket that you could take a look at.
I rather like making my own sprites, but that looks much better than mine by a lot, thank you for that. Although, I'd ratther go for a 32x16 Link, like Minish Cap Link. Well, I think he's 32x16, anyway. I can't really tell if that's 32x16. Thanks, again.