The VG Resource

Full Version: How Should I Organize Downloaded Licensed Game Models?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Heya, I use a lot of models from here in my TinkerCAD work to make stuff, and I try to keep them organized by company. And, out of curiosity, I was wondering, in terms of who actually "owns" the models to games licensed from pre-existing properties, would it make more sense to organize them by what company owns the license (Disney, Nickelodeon, ect) or what company produced the games (THQ, EA, Acclaim, ect)?

I mean, I know it'll probably not protect me in the slightest legally because fair use isn't worth a damn in this country, but it'd be a comfort to know at least in terms of filing things properly.
Well, for some examples:
  • Would the Disney characters in Kingdom Hearts be organized under my Squeenix folder or a folder for Disney characters alongside; say; Disney Interactive games?
  • Would stuff from the Lego Star Wars games be organized under Disney (Because they own the license) or Warner (Because they own Travellers' Tales)
  • Would the stuff from the Xbox 360 Avatars be under their various licenseholders' folders, or under the Microsoft one?
[*]

Also, as an example of what i do with those models, here's a model sheet I made using a kitbash made from models from THQ's Nickelodeon games, which're relatively clear cut given how THQ and Nickelodeon were so tied for so long:
[Image: Shin_Ultra.png]
Also, question, would any new character design I made from these collaged assets be free to; say; release under a CC-BY license, independent from those assets I used to design it? Which is why I did this model sheet BTW, so one could theoretically make a model from scratch to use the design without those issues...