The VG Resource

Full Version: Community Ripping Project; Smash 64 Characters
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hey everybody!

I'd like to start again by thanking you all for your help with the Complete NES project. We didn't quite make it, but we're always accepting new sheets!

That said, for the best sprite site in the internet, we have some glaring holes when it comes to some of our most popular games. Super Metroid has dozens of enemy frames and boss sprites unaccounted for. Yoshi’s Island is a mess. Kirby Super Star has fragments of stages scattered across 4-5 sheets. So, in celebration of Super Smash Bros Ultimate, let’s clean up!

The goal of this project is to contribute as much content to the games of the characters from the first Smash game on the N64. Here are some things to start you off;

Mario and Luigi  
-Dr. Mario (NES) could use some arranging!
-Mario 2's (NES) White Mouser is MIA
-Bowser's sprites in Mario All Stars SMB1 (SNES) are sloppy and outdated.
-Mario Land (GB ) needs a full rerip for the characters and enemies and bosses.
-Mario Land 2 (GB ) could use more stages!

Link 
-Zelda 1 (NES) Second Quest and World Maps, anyone? 
-A Link to the Past's maps could use some cleaning up. We also have incomplete Enemy and NPC sheets.
-Link's Awakening (GB ) Enemies section could be fixed up a lot. The NPCs seem empty, too.

DK 
-DK Jr/DK Jr Math (NES) need some ripping!
-Donkey Kong Land (GB ) has all kinds of unique stuff that isn't up yet!

Pikachu and Jigglypuff 
-Did you know we're still missing the Pokemon Red (GB ) title screen?

Kirby
-Kirby Superstar's (SNES) Stages and Tiles are very lacking.
-Is there any reason to keep the individual Animal Buddy sprites for Kirby 2 (GB )?

Fox
-Star Fox 1 and 2 (SNES) could both use some major cleaning up. Much of what is ripped may in fact be models. 

Samus
-Samus should probably be reripped altogether in Super Metroid (SNES).
-The Super Metroid (SNES) Enemies are very incomplete and some are sloppy.

Yoshi
-The Enemies and especially the Bosses in Yoshi's Island (SNES) are dramatically incomplete.
-The General Sprites for Yoshi's Island (SNES) are sloppy and need replacing and organization badly.

Ness
-Several maps can be ripped with Earthbound (SNES) ripping tools. This would really help this section. NPCs and Enemies sheets may be missing some sprites, too.
-PSI abilities (SNES) could be ripped. This is a tough one!
-Giygas (SNES) could be cleaned up.

Captain Falcon
-Most of the cars and the tracks (SNES) need to be ripped.

These are just ideas off the top of my head. Anything is fair game!
This will fill in the gaps in these series and make these popular characters more accessible for users.
You can rip characters, maps, menus, anything. As long as these characters feature in the game, anything is fair. Don’t feel like you can’t re-rip or add to an existing sheet. This project will end at the end of 2018. Just in time for the new game’s release!

I'll update this with a list of games as people show interest in them.
Thanks and happy ripping!
Hey, I did a thing.

https://www.spriters-resource.com/snes/s...et/106583/

I just realized I have to fix a couple things. Whoops. Jumped the gun on that.

EDIT: And fixed!
I don't even know how we got so many sheets dedicated to Star Fox's models. Shouldn't they be more fit for the Modelers Resource?

Anyways might try to help contribute to this once I'm done with a few other things- some of them are pretty easy rips that I could knock out in a day on average.
They probably should, but nobody has ripped the models yet.

I’m not sure how much of Star Fox is actually 2D. Portraits, planets...?

On a side note, I ripped the Mario World Bonus Room. I'm thinking about doing Bowser's Castle at some point.
General Sprites
General Sprites

Calculate Mode
Calculate Mode
Exercise Mode
Exercise Mode

The Kong is out of the cage! Ripped the rest of Donkey Kong Jr. and gave some love to Donkey Kong Jr. Math.
Those are fantastic! Thanks! Should I start a list in the first post of completed things?
Thanks! And sure, if you like. ^^
borokobo's site is a mess but has level viewers and editors for many Kirby games, including Kirby Super Star. Despite them looking and feeling very questionable, they all work and their output is pretty much 100% accurate.
http://www.geocities.jp/borokobo/neo/kir...index.html
This will surely help with tile/level ripping.
Just wanted to point that out since nobody ever seems to remember that dude or his page.
Edit: read RTB's post below

Edit: also another tool that not many people know about is jSM; https://jsm.ostehovel.com
Using it to rip Samus again would probably be the best method, since the tool reads the poses from the ROM in an exhaustive manner so you get literally everything
Edit: Apparently the output isn't very clean

Edit edit: https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/586/ Starxxon's Star Fox level editor does OBJ export!
(06-24-2018, 04:55 PM)Raccoon Sam Wrote: [ -> ]borokobo's site is a mess but has level viewers and editors for many Kirby games, including Kirby Super Star. Despite them looking and feeling very questionable, they all work and their output is pretty much 100% accurate.
http://www.geocities.jp/borokobo/neo/kir...index.html
This will surely help with tile/level ripping.

Just wanted to point that out since nobody ever seems to remember that dude or his page.
Funny, I was just using that as a reference for the KSS Dedede Stadium re-rip. Tongue

Here's a note for anyone using this -- the palette is a bit brighter than it should be (in other words, not using 16-bit colours), so if you're gonna use this to aid with ripping you'll need to make sure to correct the palettes afterwards.

(EDIT: I wonder if someone could combine the sources for both the DeluxeSightseer and DeluxeTool programs to export all of the game's maps automatically, since the former actually has correct palettes?)
Oh wow awesome. Thanks for the tips, everyone!
General Fields
General Fields

The Doctor is In! Dr. Mario's play fields have been given a fresh new dose of life.
Nice job! Thanks!
(06-24-2018, 08:41 PM)Ton Wrote: [ -> ]Nice job! Thanks!

You're welcome!
Quote:Pikachu and Jigglypuff

I checked to see what we had in regards to this and found some other things:

~We don't have the Red Version's introduction in black and white (I assume you were referring to this, we have the color version)
~A few sheets (Indigo Plateau, Pokémon Center/Mart, Routes 14, 15, 17 and 18) are in color instead of black and white
~On that note, how should we handle the B&W vs. color situation? Should we have bonus color palettes for everything on every sheet, or have two separate sections for everything (for example, "Backgrounds" and "Backgrounds (Color))?
~The Gym Badges & Leaders sheet should include the entire trainer's screen (also needs a new icon, it's all filtered and ugly)
~All background sheets that have water are lacking the animated tiles (although maybe those could just be copied from Superjustinbros' tileset sheet?) and it bugs me lmao
~The Game Corner's slot machine is missing; but Yellow has it
~The ending (darkened Pokémon sprites and the "THE END" screen)

There could be other things missing but those are what I noticed. There's also Yellow... Tons of missing backgrounds and everything is in color. It's a weird situation. It's redundant to re-rip/copy everything over but it feels so incomplete and wrong...
(06-25-2018, 12:05 PM)Mighty Jetters Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:Pikachu and Jigglypuff

I checked to see what we had in regards to this and found some other things:

~We don't have the Red Version's introduction in black and white (I assume you were referring to this, we have the color version)
~A few sheets (Indigo Plateau, Pokémon Center/Mart, Routes 14, 15, 17 and 18) are in color instead of black and white
~On that note, how should we handle the B&W vs. color situation? Should we have bonus color palettes for everything on every sheet, or have two separate sections for everything (for example, "Backgrounds" and "Backgrounds (Color))?
~The Gym Badges & Leaders sheet should include the entire trainer's screen (also needs a new icon, it's all filtered and ugly)
~All background sheets that have water are lacking the animated tiles (although maybe those could just be copied from Superjustinbros' tileset sheet?) and it bugs me lmao
~The Game Corner's slot machine is missing; but Yellow has it
~The ending (darkened Pokémon sprites and the "THE END" screen)

There could be other things missing but those are what I noticed. There's also Yellow... Tons of missing backgrounds and everything is in color. It's a weird situation. It's redundant to re-rip/copy everything over but it feels so incomplete and wrong...

Thanks for this!

I think the best thing to do would be what RTB did with the Pokemon sprites; include the alt palette for greyscale. Not sure what else would help...
Pages: 1 2 3