The VG Resource

Full Version: Splatoon 2: Upload standards & doing a preview render?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was waiting desperately for Splatoon2 1.0.0 rips (NPC, enemy) and have decided to just do 'em myself as I've got the time, however I have some questions to make sure I do everything correctly before queueing them. Plenty of knowledge in using Maya but I know zero 3DSMax (or Blender) and I'm having major problems trying to grasp the interface which is a big source of my issues. 

Had no problems importing BFRES into 3DSMax using RTB's script as well as grabbing the textures, but is stopping there and exporting as a .DAE fine?
- The models are horizontal by default, do I need to rotate the root so it's upright or can I leave it?
- Some information may be lost if I import it into Maya (it tends to do that :/) so I'm not able to manually combine loose edges, is that okay? That seems to be standard on the Odyssey models but I'd like to double check.
- For some reason in Maya it's hooking the albedo to transparency on its own in Splatoon2 models, does that need to be fixed or are materials fine raw?
- Normals have a problem with the blue channel which messes up their height properties, should that be considered a ripping issue and be corrected in PS? It's an easy fix but I'm not sure.
- Is it okay to include a custom transparency mask texture? For example if the program being used doesn't support alpha channels on the albedo but will read a mask texture hooked in, I have this problem a lot and somebody might appreciate it.
- Is '2cl' the equivalent to 'tcl'? Aka team colour.
- Is it okay to include an info file with texture terms?
- Should anything be renamed within the files if their internal dev names are vastly different? For example, Cohocks are called 'BigSalmon's. Personally I'm against changing it but if there's a standard I'd go to that.

And the big boy question: How on earth do I do a preview render? I'm assuming it's standard to do them in 3DSMax but I don't have a clue what the settings are or even how to get to a render screen. Maya's mental ray looks like trash and it's having difficulty with the material anyway, if somebody would be extremely patient and tell me how or point me in the direction of the best way to do it I'd be super grateful. It's the main thing that's holding me back at the moment.

If you've got answers for any of these, thanks a ton.