The VG Resource

Full Version: Ripping Mii Parts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello, WaddleDooFan77 here.

It has come to my attention that there exists no repository or archive of Mii face sprites on the Internet. No one has ever ripped the Mii parts from any game or system that uses them. I would like to change that - except I know next to nothing about ripping Mii face parts.

All I know is that in every game which uses them, Mii parts are stored in an archive with the .dat file extension. For example, Miitopia on 3DS contains the file CFL_Res.dat. It can be assumed that every .dat file used by Mii games shares a similar format.

What I am looking for is someone who knows how to extract data from one of these files, or someone who can help me to revesrse-engineer this file format. I do not have much coding knowledge, but I am willing to do whatever it takes to extract these Mii parts, and I am willing to extract the .dat file from various Mii games and provide it if necessary. Thank you for reading this thread, and I hope someone with the knowledge I desire will come forth.
Miitomo has "AFLResHigh_2_3.dat", which seems to be up to date with the Switch (new hair colors etc.), which can be get (along with other Miitomo models in POD format) here:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/wa181h6wpn..._Models.7z

Unfortunately, it seems that nobody cares or have time for that...
That's the problem, I can't seem to find a way to open the .dat archives and access the face parts.
(05-20-2018, 01:20 PM)AtomicLugia Wrote: [ -> ]Miitomo has "AFLResHigh_2_3.dat", which seems to be up to date with the Switch (new hair colors etc.), which can be get (along with other Miitomo models in POD format) here:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/wa181h6wpn..._Models.7z

Unfortunately, it seems that nobody cares or have time for that...

I downloaded those models, but when I tried opening them, it didn't work.
Damn, looks like the XFL_Res file formats are not documented whatsoever (or at least my desperate 3h googling session really was unconclusive). I managed to find the textures in the 3DS version and could dump 'em all just fine, however, I really only guessed around. First, trying to check the file header, then jump around, then I did stumble upon the textures but had to get the correct offsets for them to display properly. So far, I found textures in several formats, L4, A4 and RGBA4. About the head and hair models, it feels way beyond my knowledge and probing with HxD brings no dice.

EDIT: Fact-checking some things