The VG Resource

Full Version: Paper Mario sprites for a hack
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've been working on a crappy smw hack for awhile now thats going to be a paper mario game. it hasn't been worked on for a long time and the old sprites i had were crap so im trying to make new ones and i want to be as good as i can get them so thats why im posting them here for C+C.

[Image: papermariopreviewjm8.png]

I only made the standing pose so far, the new one is on the right obviously.

and heres a tileset i made.

[Image: tilesetpreviewfb1.png]

i only plan on useing this as a placeholder and ill eventualy replace it with something diffrent, but C+C would still be nice on it.

So what do you guys think? please try to point out every part of them that needs fixing up.
Well, I guess you want this bump and comment at the same time...

For your sprites,i like the second one better. I don't think that his right hand should be visible, his left leg should move forward a little bit and his right leg should hide behind his left about 1 more pixel (a small amount). The feet should be a tiny bit longer, too. The hat shouldn't be so tall, either. On Mario, that would look fine, but I have a Paper Mario picture next to me and it looks flatter than a regular Mario hat should be. Actually, no that I look closer, it's close. It's up to you if you want to change the hat or not.

My friend tried to make a hack like this before, too, except it used Geno. He asked me to do the sprites and they had to be 16x16 pixels for the shrunken one. It was too hard to make a running Geno in 16x16 pixels, so I put it on hold.

Great job on this sprite. I commend your efforts.
DK just gave some exceptional crits, listen to that.
Although, I believe that hat is fine.
I don't mean to be all contrary and all, but I have to disagree with some of Did's crits.

The visible right hand fits in perfectly with PM2/SPM style stuff. Both feet need to move forward one pixel, but don't mess with them in any other way. The hat is okay, but you might want to find a way to sneak a line between the hat and the head.

These are just my own thoughts though. You choose how to go.
small update.

god i hate the 16x16 limit, it makes the sprites look like crap at times. I only made 3 new poses but its a start i guess...

[Image: papermariopreview2xv3.png]

any suggestions on how to make the walking poses look better? also i fixed the shoes and tryed the black outline on the hat, theres 2 to see which one you guys like better.
O_O I've been staring at the 2 and I can't see a single difference....my nose was ON the screen and I couldn't tell...

As for walking, I guess the arm should move, and you should hav the left leg come forward as well. Perhaps the hat should flip a big? I don't quite remember if it does that.
That jump is lookin' pretty good, imo...
Really, great job on these sprites. Also, my hacking friend who is making the Geno hack told me you can only use 8 colors as well...and that's harsh. I'm not sure if you already are or not, but this is also for the people who will say "there's no shading?!"
the diffrence on 2nd one is that theres a black outline seperating the hat from the head.
Ok, now i see it...and I can't decide which is better...I have no idea...

btw, I was going through my old sprites and I found this, my Geno 16x16 sprite before I stopped because it was too hard...[Image: Geno16x16.png]
I actually really like this
I'd like to see it continued, especially the tileset.