The VG Resource

Full Version: Budokai 3 Animation Porting Help
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey, I'm planning on eventually working on a "remake" of the Dragon Ball Z Budokai 3, because that game ate up so much of my childhood and I have a raging nostalgia boner for it.
I don't know what I plan on using as an engine as of yet, I'm more so worried about porting resources over before even beginning to mess around with that.
That being said, I'm already aware of how to port models, textures, and sounds from Budokai 3 (Thanks to this little thread https://www.vg-resource.com/thread-29785.html). While ideally I'd like to port the animations from the game's files, I'm not entirely sure what to do with that. (I could rig the models and animate them myself, but for obvious reasons I'd rather explore alternatives first.)
So far I managed to rip the files that the animations are stored in (or at least they should be according to this: http://www.theisozone.com/tutorials/ps2/...-bin-list/) using QuickBMS and the 2DragonBallBIN script found in the aforementioned VG-Resource thread. This gave me a .AMC, a .AML, a .BCM, and a .SPX file, none of which I know the functionality of.
If there is anyone out there who has any knowledge as to what these files are, or as to what I'd have to do to eventually port and apply the animations associated with them to the models they are associated with, I would very much so appreciate your input.

If there are any other details I should put out in order to clarify what I'm asking for/wanting/doing, let me know please. I omitted some details to try and keep this quick, so I probably left out important details oof.

Also, I'm aware that this might be the wrong place for this thread to go, if so I apologize. Models/Ripping just felt like the most appropriate section for this. I'll move it to general ripping if that would be more appropriate. 

Thanks.

Update:

Through a quick Google search I've come across, potentially, what some of the files are.

According to Wikipedia (ASF/AMC file formats

ASF and AMC files are public domain file types created by Acclaim, ASF being Acclaim Skeleton File, and AMC being a Acclaim Motion Capture file.
Assuming this is what those files are, the ASF file contains the skeleton for the model, while the AMC file contains the actual animations used by the skeleton and by extension the model.
(note: I'm not sure if I got an ASF file or not when I ripped the files, i'm away from home rn I'll double check later.)
I'm thinking that this might be the right definition of the file extensions in this context, because the file formats are both related to animation and within the public domain.
If you DO make this, I have a small suggestion: Include a lot of the "cutscene" and NPC models in the game too Genki ^_^ I felt those models were wasted in the original. Wink

But I don't know how to help with animations, sadly. Sad
(04-29-2018, 07:09 PM)Tabuu Forte Akugun Wrote: [ -> ]If you DO make this, I have a small suggestion: Include a lot of the "cutscene" and NPC models in the game too Genki ^_^ I felt those models were wasted in the original. Wink

But I don't know how to help with animations, sadly. Sad

Well, I appreciate the suggestion and I'll try to do right by you there.
I have a ton of ideas, but I need to know for sure what I'll actually have to do manually before worrying about implementing those ideas. Hence why I'm trying to figure out how to port the animations in the first place. Although, to be fair I'd also probably have to figure out how to get the model's rigging ported from the game as well, or else porting the animations kinda becomes useless. I haven't seen anyone do that yet, and I've accepted that I might have to do that part myself. At least thanks to KillerCracker the models and  their bones can be ported easily enough.