The VG Resource

Full Version: Need help ripping this classic game's models (NFS5)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Disclaimer: This is my first time approaching reverse engineering.

Overview: Need for Speed 5 is a classic (1990 era) racing game that was extremely unique in that it featured only Porsche, and the developers even worked with Porsch AG to make it as simulated as possible for the time period.
Here we are 18 years later, and the track format has not been completely REd.
I have taken the time to dig over the past 3 years to no avail. I can't find info on the car model format, which might lend a hand in reverse engineering the track model format.

What I HAVE managed to do was get the track models "decompressed", which yields some clear details, but beyond this I wouldn't have any clue how to proceed. The reason I have quotes is that being the format was never fully figured out, it very well could be useless in this manor.

I am hoping someone who has the skill and knowledge would be willing to aid me in getting this format figured out, so at minimal the models could be extracted, and ideally editable. The minimal goal is due to the fact I make video games, so it would be easier for me to make a modernized application sporting these resources, rather than a simple track editor, though there is a community that still plays this game and would be extremely excited if the format was figured out to where we could import other tracks into the game for a fresh take.

For now, I will share 7 files to serve as examples.
In the track folder:
the .crp files are the native tracks in their original form.
the .drp are the supposedly decompressed versions, and clearly have noteworthy information, such as UV, and texture references.
I have also included a car model that has both the crp and drp versions as a possible guide, as that format has long been figured out, but lost to time.
I can easily extract textures from the game, and teach track has additional data that I can provide upon request.
The last included file is the de/compression tool.

This game is now considered Abandonware, and can easily be obtained for those curious. Unfortunately with each windows update, it gets harder and harder to run this game, the graphics are extremely dated, ripping tools like ninjaripper cannot rip anything other than 2D planes, so that route isn't possible, and I neither have a free camera mode for top down pics to serve as a template for modeling, nor experience to model it freehand (better yet, at all).

ANY help would be appreciated, as there are people in the community who can code the necessary tools to manipulate it once it is figured out. Having this knowledge might even arm me to make an exporter for the older Need for Speed 4 track files, which would be the main game we would want to import tracks from.

Files: https://www.dropbox.com/s/x46qm58do6phdda/nfs5.zip?dl=0
Every CRP can be dumped, but it's a gigantic tedious pain in the ass. As we all know, most of the CRP files do not import into ZModeler at all, those which do, have all every LOD, though when imported, only the highest LOD is displayed, which.. Isn't all that impressive, giving the game's age. I don't believe I have permission to distribute the software, Arushan, the one who had figured out how to make mods in NFS Most Wanted (2005) had developed it, the track CRP files are a similar story. They would have to have the high LOD objects exported into their own format, which has a custom ZModeler import filter, and each object, would have to be manually exported. That already seems like a gigantic massive undertaking for the vehicles, and my intention was to dump some of the circuit tracks, so I could see if I could somehow get them ported into other games, namely, Re-Volt. But, it's a massive daunting task... Each object, and everything like that, not to mention the fact that I need to run ZModeler within a virtual machine for this specific importer to work, cause it doesn't seem to work beyond Windows XP, so yes. A giant pain in the ass.

As for NFS 4 tracks, search FRD2LWO. The NFS4 tracks can already be converted to LWO. While Lightwave is a pain in the ass, it's better than nothing. Just need to use FSHTool to get the textures, and you are good to go for that.
(04-09-2018, 03:22 AM)Fengo Wrote: [ -> ]Every CRP can be dumped, but it's a gigantic tedious pain in the ass.

I never expected anything less honestly Tongue
I was hoping the tracks might be editable, but at minimal, ripping is better than nothing. I will explain why in a moment.

Quote:As we all know, most of the CRP files do not import into ZModeler at all, those which do, have all every LOD, though when imported, only the highest LOD is displayed, which.. Isn't all that impressive, giving the game's age.

I feel you. The reason for wanting to rip it out is I simply cannot get any depth on my rips. Using Ninjaripper and many different options, I simply get flat meshes, a mesh picture if you will. it's like I am trying to rip a PSX game here, despite it being on the PC.
I promised an explanation, and here it is: If I can rip the tracks, I can port them to a mobile game. These models/meshes may be below par for PC standards, but on the 3DS or even a mobile phone, they would look quite nice. Not AAA quality, but would be a nice nostalgia trip that would look great with some love and time given to it. I would model it myself, but I would rather have accuracy over best effort. That and I still have issues modeling tracks in general.

Quote:I don't believe I have permission to distribute the software, Arushan, the one who had figured out how to make mods in NFS Most Wanted (2005) had developed it

If it is still possible to contact him, would you be willing to try (or PM me a way to do so?). There is a strong community that still plays the game that would be willing to further improve on it and possibly even further research into it. All that is needed is a foundation. Even if all that comes of this is me making a rip of the tracks for preservation, that might be enough to potentially preserve the game if it is unable to be preserved in it's current state in the future. I am willing to fight the PITA work of ripping out the LOD0s, since anything modern can certainly handle it. Modeling wizards would even be able to further improve on them.

Quote:The track CRP files are a similar story. They would have to have the high LOD objects exported into their own format, which has a custom ZModeler import filter, and each object, would have to be manually exported. That already seems like a gigantic massive undertaking for the vehicles, and my intention was to dump some of the circuit tracks, so I could see if I could somehow get them ported into other games, namely, Re-Volt. But, it's a massive daunting task... Each object, and everything like that, not to mention the fact that I need to run ZModeler within a virtual machine for this specific importer to work, cause it doesn't seem to work beyond Windows XP, so yes. A giant pain in the ass.

There are plenty of high poly models online for cars. heck I daresay the cars alone don't need to be ripped, as finding images to model them Wouldn't be impossible. The tracks on the other hand, this is where I am willing to put in the effort. There is simply no other known way to at least rip them much less mod them, no info on the format, nothing.

Quote:As for NFS 4 tracks, search FRD2LWO. The NFS4 tracks can already be converted to LWO. While Lightwave is a pain in the ass, it's better than nothing. Just need to use FSHTool to get the textures, and you are good to go for that.

I passed over this tool having no clue that this would be a possibility. I am sure blender either already supports importing LWO, or someone has a scrip online. THIS will get me started, and a few pictures of something I cook up might interest the community to rip more. This should scratch most of the itch I have for a portable NFS 3 (NFS 3DS anyone? Tongue).

Thanks so much for your reply! This was way more information that I have gotten over the past 2 years I have been itching and mulling over this. I actually have the dev experience now to do something with them ^.^
(04-09-2018, 03:22 AM)Fengo Wrote: [ -> ]ZModeler within a virtual machine for this specific importer to work, cause it doesn't seem to work beyond Windows XP, so yes. A giant pain in the ass.

All you need to do is copy the files that are supposed to go to system 32 to syswow64 for arushans tool, I hope this helps Big Grin
And for importing, just open the crp twice, which makes it work for some reason..