The VG Resource

Full Version: Star's Stairway Back To Being A Decent Spriter AKA Scrap Topic
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
URL=http://imageshack.us][Image: totemir1.png][/URL]
Got a brainstorm and this guy got created in my complex mind. Big Grin IT's a random totem dude. Bow down to him or he shall take your children and eat your women.
Reminds me of Wario for some reason...

The red line on the right side of his face looks thinner than the one on the left side.
Also his right eye is smaller than the left one.
May be meant to be so, though. Whatever.
While the technique is alright, there's banding in several places, and some of the lines are pretty jaggy. You're still good though, you just need to get back into the game a bit. Smile
Microgame character perhaps? They are usually Jaggy/Blocky/whatever.

Anyway, try to lighten up a bit. looks a little dull, but eh, that's yer preference.
(12-22-2008, 01:23 PM)BanefulKid Wrote: [ -> ]Reminds me of Wario for some reason...

The red line on the right side of his face looks thinner than the one on the left side.
Also his right eye is smaller than the left one.
May be meant to be so, though. Whatever.
Haha, what's funny is I wasn't even thinking of Wario at all.
That was all done on purpose btw.

(12-22-2008, 01:42 PM)Dex Wrote: [ -> ]While the technique is alright, there's banding in several places, and some of the lines are pretty jaggy. You're still good though, you just need to get back into the game a bit. Smile
Banding? Could you explain this please. I could see where you mean the lindes are jaggy, like the left side of his face. If you think the arms weren't meant to be blocky like that, they were. Thanks. Big Grin Getting back to what I use to be(or better) shouldn't be too hard.

(12-22-2008, 02:37 PM)Gaia Wrote: [ -> ]Microgame character perhaps? They are usually Jaggy/Blocky/whatever.

Anyway, try to lighten up a bit. looks a little dull, but eh, that's yer preference.
Well, it's kind like that. It's a mix to tell you the truth. A great example of what I'm talking about would be the new Banjo. It's dull? Wow, I thought it looked pretty bright...I need to fix my monitor lighting I guess.
Intruiging. nice to know.
The concept is very nice, so is the shape. But some of the shading could be rounder.
Welcome back Star!
Thank you! I'm glad you liked the concept. Been trying to be orignal. ;D
Glad to be back, CeeY! :]
Banding is basically hugged shading against an outline. It's like adding shades that follow the outline, which creates ugly shading and uneven lines. You only have a little bit of it going on. I could further explain if you'd ever get on MSN. Unsure
(12-22-2008, 01:23 PM)BanefulKid Wrote: [ -> ]Reminds me of Wario for some reason...
Reminds me more of a cross between Ganondorf and the King of Red Lions. Tongue
Ha. Ganondorf and the King of Red Lions must've had a baby then. O_O

Dex, thank you but as you may know I don't get on msn..like at all anymore. But if I happen to I'll talk to you for sure. From what I've seen from your work, you know alot about spriting.

[Image: doodleyu8.png]
Once again, something else from the oddworld in my head. This time some kind of...uh..worm? I don't even know what it is! Tried a different design style(last one was kind of microgamish)and pallete choice.
More contrast on the red.
Hey, that's pretty neat. I have a few crits, however, but I'll mainly explain with a small edit if that's alright with you. Tongue

-Looks as if his stance is a little off- he might fall over with a pose like that. Remember, when you're making sprites, you have to think about balance and positioning before getting down'n'dirty with the pixel skills.

-You're also using basically straight color ramps. Try adding in some purple, blue, tan hues to break the monotony! Remember, coloring and detail can attract a viewers eyes, as can the design. You've almost got them both workin' for you here. Big Grin

-Banding comes into play a few places- not as much, but it's still a small problem. It's a hard technique to quit, because you think you're just aa-ing the sprite with a line, rather than a pixel.

This edit basically explains what I'm trying to say.
[Image: starpowerkl1.png]

You are doing quite the tremendous leap back into pixeling after what happened back at home. Your work is by no means bad- in fact, it's better than most here. I'm just trying to help you get back on the very top. ;D

-Dex