The VG Resource

Full Version: Problems ripping from Family Guy: Back to the Multiverse
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I recently bought the game on Amazon, and have started a Steam account yesterday. However, I'm having trouble ripping models and textures from the game using Ninja Ripper. I pressed the assigned RIP and Texture keys, but nothing's happening. After I exit the game, the RIP and texture files never show up in the output folder. I've tried using the D3D9, D3D8 and D3D11 wrappers, but nothing. And when I run the game by itself, it gives me this "Steam needs to be running" error. What am I doing wrong?
Typically Steam games don't respond well to screen capture ripping. Also, I tried it on this game before myself on a DRM-free version, and everything is captured in whatever pose they're in on-screen when it's done, and they ALWAYS are missing the mouth polygons. I tried to get some interest going in finding a way to extract frrom files, but as usual it went completely ignored in favor of more 'mainstream' games and nothing ever developed. If you can get in touch with someone who knows anything about reverse-engineering file formats, the better option would be data ripping...because screen capture doesn't work well with this game.
I eventually managed to rip models from the game using the D3D9 wrapper (I assigned the RIP, texture and forced keys to F9, F10 and F11). Problem is that I don't have 3DS Max, and when I import the RIP files to Blender, it doesn't get the bones/armatures of the character models, and the models themselves are at the captured pose instead of T-pose. Do you think that F9 isn't enough?
using any kind of screen capture will not give you any kind of bones or rigging data, just the meshes and textures.
Hmmm, well, what program can give bones and rigging data from Steam games besides meshes and textures?
It greatly depends on the game itself and what engine and/or format it runs on. I dunno what Family Guy Back to the Multiverse runs on, so I couldn't tell ya.
Well, besides Windows and Steam, the game is also available for XBox 360 and PS3, neither of which I have. Maybe someone would have better luck if they had either of those systems and a copy of that game.
I found a thread from the XeNTaX forum about extracting from the HO files. Maybe it can help.

UPDATE: I recently compressed all the HO files from the hard drive in one ZIP folder, in case anyone can use Game Extractor on them.