The VG Resource

Full Version: How to get sprites from unknown .dat files?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've currently been trying to rip some sprites from the newer Touhou games (mostly 15 - Legacy of Lunatic Kingdom) but all of the game files are stored in .dat files. I don't have any idea on how to access these files though. I've tried to check them with a hex-code editor and by opening it in notepad, but there were no clues. There is a way to rip the sprites from the games, considering that most games before Touhou 13 have been fully ripped (the exceptions being Touhou 9 and Touhou 11).
If I'm not mistaken there are specialized tools for ripping the Toohoo games (not sure about the PC98 titles).
(02-20-2018, 08:34 PM)Magma Dragoon Wrote: [ -> ]If I'm not mistaken there are specialized tools for ripping the Toohoo games (not sure about the PC98 titles).
Any ideas on what tools they are?
Well, I've figured out how to rip the spritesheets from the games using the advice from Magma Dragoon.
Essentially, what I did was download both Brightmoon (a tool to help extract files from the .dat file) and THTK (a tool for converting the files from the .dat file), then I found the .anm files the images were stored in, extracted them with Brightmoon and converted them with THTK.
Does that work with the PC98 games? I'm definitely interested in taking a look at them.