The VG Resource

Full Version: My custom 8-bit Link sprites
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I been making a few quality sprites on my own Deviantart page. So I was like. "Why not share some of my work with the VG Resource people?"

So here's a custom Link spritesheet I made with a different 8-bit color palette:

*Sorry I had to link to my DA post, I was having trouble with the Insert a image since I been busy outside the VG Resource community.  Shy
Colors aren't very 8-bit from a distance glance.

Not sure why you put a shuriken in there, maybe if this were mystery of murasame castle customs it would make sense to have that in there but that's not an item present in the Zelda series.

In fact speaking of the items some of them suffer from lack of contrast between colors and frankly, just aren't as nice to look at because the designs feel off, are you using references?

Other notes: I am not sure why you need to have large text with everything so spread out in a sprite sheet and the purple background stands out as opposed to using a neutral color.

This isn't something that I would personally call quality in fact, I just don't like how you approached it. Either they're just not good or they look edited from the original sprites. And if you did edit these from the original sprites that's not even custom by definition.

Next time if the insert image doesn't work, use attachments, and all should be dandy.
(02-03-2018, 11:10 PM)DioShiba Wrote: [ -> ]Colors aren't very 8-bit from a distance glance.

Not sure why you put a shuriken in there, maybe if this were mystery of murasame castle customs it would make sense to have that in there but that's not an item present in the Zelda series.

In fact speaking of the items some of them suffer from lack of contrast between colors and frankly, just aren't as nice to look at because the designs feel off, are you using references?

Other notes: I am not sure why you need to have large text with everything so spread out in a sprite sheet and the purple background stands out as opposed to using a neutral color.

This isn't something that I would personally call quality in fact, I just don't like how you approached it. Either they're just not good or they look edited from the original sprites. And if you did edit these from the original sprites that's not even custom by definition.

Next time if the insert image doesn't work, use attachments, and all should be dandy.

Thanks! I'll use the attachments next time I make a new sprite! P.S. I added the shuriken item to add some variety with the weapons. ^^
I think you mis-interpreted what I meant by the placement of the shuriken in your items list. It just doesn't have any place there in the Zelda universe.

Yes you could say that it adds variety to the weapons but that alone, if you were intending this to be an accurate set of fan made sprites which I assume is your intent; is not a very good reason to add it there since to my knowledge a shuriken does not appear in any of the Zelda games.

You are here to seek improvement on your sprites and by posting here, you're seeking for comments and critique on your work yes? If so I wouldn't get to defensive over people giving you suggestions based on what they see, otherwise you're just not going to grow into being better at your craft when it comes to making sprites and people are gonna wonder if you're here just to show off.
Looks good, though the animation frames look too stiff, specifically the walking and sword swinging animations. For the former, there's little difference between him just standing and him making the walking movements, there's little emphasis on the movement, he just sort of moves his arms and feet a little. I'd suggest doing something like in the first image below. As for the latter, you should make Link lean a bit more forward, and the other arm should be moved back, like in the second image below.

The items looks kind of ugly and stray far from the NES stylings. They DO only have three colours per sprite, which is true of the graphics from that era, but they all use different colours, which is very inconsistant. I would suggest that you create a set palette for yourself; four sets of three colours (plus one transparent one) for link and for all of your items. And make sure to add more detail next time, every one of them sans the rupees look too bare.

Your formatting could also use some work. You have your sprites themselves well organized, but there's too much blank space that could easily be cut down. Also, don't use bright purple for brackgrounds. I understand why you most likely did it, you wanted to use a colour that you wouldn't be using for your actual sprites, but it's really bright and hurts to look at for too long. Try using dark green or dark cyan next time. I prefer dark green myself. Smile

Also, I've noticed in the description on your DA account that these were inspired by several different sprites. I would advise against doing that, as each one has a different way of doing things, and trying to do all of them at the same time can be very messy. Not to say that these look at all bad, but there are many places where the styles don't gel well and look very rough and awkward.

Still, thery're pretty nice overall, and I would absolutely love to see you fix these up a bit and submit them here. Keep up the great work! Big Grin