The VG Resource

Full Version: FP's Sprite thread.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've take some time to cool off And I'm back.
Durring my time Away I AA'd Hiro's Mugs (If any of you rmember my old thread.) like I was asked.
I know I freaked out and acted like a twit, but all I ask for is some Critizism without the Insults. Explain to me what is wrong with the mugs or sprite, and try to be nice about it, please. (And Yes I know Hiro is an Edit, but I prefer to edit because I havn't sprited in a while.)
[Image: hirofixsp6.png]
That pillowshading is terrible. And the contrast is rather low. The rest of the face is fine (I suppose it's just the base sprite with the eyes recoloured), but the hair really is bad. Colour the hair one solid shade and work on it again from scratch.
Exactly where is the pillow shading, and any tips on Hair shading before I mess it up on the retry?
(12-19-2008, 10:26 AM)Fuzion Phoeinx Wrote: [ -> ]Exactly where is the pillow shading?
On the pants and hair, and the hair on the mugshot is pillowed too.
I was refering to the Mugshot when I asked. Could you point out exactly where on the mugshot is the pillow shading?
(12-19-2008, 10:36 AM)Fuzion Phoeinx Wrote: [ -> ]I was refering to the Mugshot when I asked. Could you point out exactly where on the mugshot is the pillow shading?

Everywhere on the edges of his hair. You do know what pillow shading is, don't you?
I know it has something to do with light coming form mutliple directions and not one specific direction.
Actually it means when the lightsource is coming from the center of the sprite. Pillowshading is frowned upon by all spriters.
The new features you added in the mugshots doesn't fit. The hair is pillowed and his clothes lack shading/contrast/Anti-Alias. Those things that... are supposed... to look like tears doesn't blend very well with the sprite. Some shading parts look jagged and lazily done (You just took the hair outline from the first mug and pated on top of the last ones). His bandana sticks out way too much (no Anti-Alias, MS Paint colors), try making it less blatant.

Onto the sprite... His pants are pillowy and... that's a pretty massive air hump (But that's the style's fault :/) You could shade the outline a bit, too.
(12-19-2008, 03:12 PM)Chdonga Wrote: [ -> ]Pillowshading is frowned upon by all spriters.

Not always. Just saying, there are extremely rare occasions where pillow shading can work. But this is not one of them.
Okay After looking at my old thread I decided to make that Model of Mine, Model Z-F, look a little more like Samus.
I also have two shoulder designs, the orginal ball shape I made and a New Paldron shape. Which is the better shoulder design?