The VG Resource

Full Version: Find identical tiles in level-map graphic file
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Dear all,

When you want to use a level-map like this example from Castlevania Rondo Of Blood you'll notice it is built up by many identical tiles. It would be much more efficient for your game development to extract the tiles, however when you don't know how but using graphical software like Irfanview, PhotoFiltre, The GIMP of whatever, it will be a lot of work.

I thought I found the solution and maybe it is a good solution. I discovered Tile Replace from the website of Shiru. (Shiru is mostly known by his software VGM Music Maker.) The name of TileReplace allready suggests what you can do with it: change the level map by swapping tiles. However it also automatically creates a tile map. The level map has to be a BMP-file with 256 colors (8bit file) or less.

You cannot export the tilemap, however you can of course make a screenshot and save it with any kind of graphic editor. The tiles are enlarged by factor two, so you have to reduce the size of the capture and make sure you will not use an interpolation-filter by that like bicubic or whatever. If you are familiar with using grahhic software you know what I'm talking about and then it must be a piece of cake for you.

However something doesn't go right. Maybe there's something wrong with the file I am working with (I spent many hours to prepare it and checked many thing to ensure the tiles can be ripped as meant to be.) However looking at the generated tile map some tiles are not ripped correctly.

So do you have ideas for me? Many thanks in advantage!